The Buzz

DVC Buzz Notes
Questions
1) What would you expect from a first year professor?
2) How prepared/qualified do you feel your teachers are?

this is an image

Vi Vo, 18, Psychology
1) That they’re passionate about what they’re teaching. That’s how you get through to students.

2)I love all of my professors. They’re all very professional and are straight to the point. They get me ready for exams and have really taught me a lot.

Keith Franklin, 22, Psychology & Humanities/ photo by pablo caballero
1) I feel like more than anything I look for good communication. I look for teachers who let you know what to expect at the beginning of the semester and have a structured curriculum. I like to know what they're grading policies are.

2) I feel like the teachers I've come across are well-prepared. It's not like high school when you're in there every day. We meet a couple times for an hour or so. The teachers I have do a pretty good job of at least communicating within those days what I need to prepare for.

Keith Franklin, 22, Psychology & Humanities
1) I feel like more than anything I look for good communication. I look for teachers who let you know what to expect at the beginning of the semester and have a structured curriculum. I like to know what they’re grading policies are.

2) I feel like the teachers I’ve come across are well-prepared. It’s not like high school when you’re in there every day. We meet a couple times for an hour or so. The teachers I have do a pretty good job of at least communicating within those days what I need to prepare for.

this is an image

Cory Berg, 18, Physics
1) Mostly just how good they are at dealing and relating with the students. Obviously, a first year professor won’t have a lot of experience, so just being able to relate will go a long way.

2) I feel like all of them are really prepared and qualified except for one. One of them is kind of boring, but we won’t get into that.

Josh Long, 19, Computer Science & Engineering/ photo by pablo caballero
1) If they can relate to you, that's one thing. But if they can't make it interesting, their teaching won't be as effective.

2) Really prepared and qualified.

Josh Long, 19, Computer Science & Engineering
1) If they can relate to you, that’s one thing. But if they can’t make it interesting, their teaching won’t be as effective.

2) Really prepared and qualified.

Frances Maurer, 22, Deaf Studies & Geology/ photo by pablo caballero
1) I would look for a professor who is organized and probably focused most on the class and the students, knowing what the students would want from the class. They also need to be interesting.

2) They are all experienced in the field that they're in and have been here for a long time. Both of my Geology teachers, my lecture and lab teacher, both coordinate their classes so the classes are directly parallel to each other.

Frances Maurer, 22, Deaf Studies & Geology

2) They are all experienced in the field that they’re in and have been here for a long time. Both of my Geology teachers, my lecture and lab teacher, both coordinate their classes so the classes are directly parallel to each other.

Marie Deleon, 19, Biology/ photo by pablo caballero
1) Someone who is charismatic, easy, and describes things well.

2) They are actually really good.

Marie Deleon, 19, Biology
2) They are actually really good.

Markus Thiel, 19, Undeclared/ photo by pablo caballero
1) Somebody that knows the subject material and communicates well…Understanding and understandable.

2) I did research on rate my professor. Three out of my four teachers were on rate my professor and the only teacher who wasn’t qualified was the one not on rate my professor.

Markus Thiel, 19, Undeclared

Jason Bennett, 22, Art Digital Media/ photo by pablo caballero
1) Either a degree or experience in the field.

2) They know what they’re talking about and are well prepared.

Jason Bennett, 22, Art Digital Media

Ann Vestal, 40, Art (Ceramics)/ photo by pablo caballero
1) To know the subject matter and be able to teach and get it across to the students…Good interaction.

2) They are all outstanding and their art work is nationally known. They have inspiring assignments.

Ann Vestal, 40, Art (Ceramics)

Melissa Lager, 18, Art Digital Media/ photo by pablo caballero
1) I tend to like teachers that are enthusiastic about the subject they’re teaching.

2) They’re all very well prepared and qualified.

Melissa Lager, 18, Art Digital Media

Shannon Hulley, 18, Undeclared/ photo by pablo caballero
1) I like teachers that are enthusiastic.

2) All of my teachers are well prepared and qualified.

Shannon Hulley, 18, Undeclared

Lucio Hupfer, 19, Gaming Design/ photo by pablo caballero
1) I would expect them to have some experience and some idea of what they’re doing.

2) I think that for the classes I’m taking, the teachers are very well equipped and prepared. I don’t have any problems and all of my classes are moving along smoothly.

Lucio Hupfer, 19, Gaming Design

Jason Abad, 30, Graphic Design/ photo by pablo caballero
1) I would expect someone who is qualified. I don’t expect them to be perfect or mistake-free.

2) Most of them are qualified. We have really good digital art professors. They have impressive websites and art that they share with us.

Jason Abad, 30, Graphic Design