DVC Men’s baseball loses to Pirates 20-3

()
()

DVC endured nine tough innings in its 20-3 loss on March 3 to the Modesto Junior College Pirates.

The Pirates quickly took the lead in the top of the first inning, hitting the ball in all directions against DVCs pitcher, Steven Swift for a total of six runs.

Although the Vikings tried several pitchers to try and stop the Pirates’ bats, the game was out of reach by the fifth inning, with the Pirates leading 15-0, highlighted by Jordan Moulds two-run homerun.

One of the lone bright spots for the Vikings was left-handed pitcher, Dylan Rath, who entered in the fifth and struck out Erik Larsen and end the inning.

DVC finally scored two runs in the sixth inning. Tim Gulbransen, led off with a single to center and was advanced to third on an errant throw after an attempted double play from a ground ball hit by Josh Nuyten.

Moises Espinoza’s base hit to left field scored Gulbransen to get the Vikings on the board. They chalked up another run on a sacrifice fly by Daniel Kent, and Espinoza knocked in another run in the eighth inning.

The highlight of the game for the Vikings was a play by pitcher Justin Harr, who raced to first for the put out after being struck in the right leg by a line drive that ricocheted all the way to the second baseman.

With this loss, the Vikings drop down to 8-6, and hope to get their bats going when they face Santa Rosa JC on Tuesday, March 9 in Santa Rosa.

Contact Carrie Soldati at [email protected]