Out of Bounds: Let the madness begin

Two words inspire happiness in sports fans all over the nation including myself:  March Madness.

For the second year in a row I’m going to stick my neck out with this March Madness column and hopefully it will be better than last years. 

First, lets review last year’s column. While not a total disaster, it was far from a success. 

Since it’s my column, I’m going to start with the good news first, so at least I can appear to know what I’m doing for the first 100 words. 

Last year I had North Carolina in the championship game, while not a stretch, making one correct prediction is cause for celebration. 

It also kept my streak of picking at least one of the teams in the championship game going for the seventh year in a row intact. 

UCONN made it to the final four, and if Scottie Reynolds’ jumper had gone another way Pittsburgh would have given me three of the four correct teams in the Final Four. 

Lastly, I was high on Arizona, even saying their first round game wouldn’t be close, and it wasn’t, Zona made it all the way to the Sweet Sixteen last year as a 12 seed, so a big pat on the back for myself. 

Ok, now for the embarrassing part, my worst prediction was not following the experts or anyone really and going out on a limb with my national champion. 

Not only did Wake Forrest University not make it to the Final Four, it didn’t even get out of the freaking first round! 

Watching my national champion pick flounder in the first round against Cleveland State, of all teams, was painful. 

After their 15 point loss I remember pulling a Ralphie from “A Christmas Story” when he was beating up Scut Farkus. Just a bunch of flailing punches and nonsensical swear words followed by a bunch of crying. 

But it’s a new year, which means a clean slate of predictions. 

So let’s get to them, like last year, we’ll start with notable upsets and random thoughts.

San Diego State (No. 11) over Tennessee (No. 6) in the first round.

San Diego went on a tear to end the season. Freshman Kawhi Leonard is a force down low, averaging 15 points and 12 boards over the last five games including a 15 point, 21 rebound game in the MWC championship game. 

Tennessee has been too inconsistent for my taste this season; also, they just got spanked by 30 in their last game, so I’m riding the hot team in this one.

Murray State (No. 13) over Vanderbilt (No. 4) in the first round.

I think Vandy is one of the weirdest seeded teams in the tournament.  They’re overrated; Jermaine Beal is their only star, A.J. Ogilvy will have to be HUGE in this game in order to win. 

Murray State’s defense is off the charts good and will just bottle up Vandy. Plus, Murray State’s top five scorers all average 10-plus points per game with each one able to step up when needed. 

It is impossible to prepare for a team that has so many weapons on offense.

UTEP (No. 12) over Butler (No. 5) in the first round & Murray State (No.13) in the second.

Butler has struggled against one kind of team this year, a team that has height and a scorer in the post, their starting “center” is 6’8″ so any team with a remotely decent low post scorer is bound to be in the game. 

UTEP’s Derrick Caracter is exactly that post presence, the transfer from Louisville knows what it’s like to play in the tournament and go far. 

Along with frontcourt mate Arnett Moultrie UTEP’s big guys are walking double-doubles this game and will give Butler fits. 

Same thing with Murray State in the second round, they also have trouble with size and UTEP should feast on their bigs on their way to a sweet sixteen birth.

Texas (No. 8) over Wake Forrest (No. 9) in the first round.

Ok, this isn’t an upset, but I just want to get a Wake Forrest loss on record here to get revenge for last year. This NEEDS to happen, because after last year, man do I have a hatred for the Demon Deacons. 

Also, if this doesn’t happen, then it would set up a Wake Forrest vs. Kentucky match up and if Wake were to knock Kentucky out, it would mess up my bracket two years in a row. 

I just can’t let that happen. 

So Texas in a blowout is my pick. Wake Forrest, I hate you, and you wrecked my effing boat, you goon!

I won’t go over all my upsets here because I’m going to put myself out there even farther by posting my actual bracket here. Curtis’ Bracket.

Ok now to the important ones: Final Four predictions.

Ohio State (No. 2) out of the Midwest Region over Syracuse (No. 1) out of the West Region.

Yup, you read that correctly, no Kansas in the Final Four. Unlike all the experts, I think the Jayhawks are really overrated. Cole Aldrich shows up one out of three games and runs the floor like a 40-year-old Greg Oden. 

Kansas is the “Avatar” of this tournament, (“Avatar:” copied storyline, horrible acting. Kansas: too inconsistent, uninspiring frontcourt), intimidating to look at but no substance on this team and like “Avatar” has everyone clawing at the bandwagon to find a spot.

But like “Avatar’s” only win (best visual effects), Kansas’ Big 12 championship will be the only award it walks away with.

Ohio State takes them out and everyone in a Buckeyes’ uniform piles on Evan Turner’s back and rides him to the national championship game.

Their top four scorers all shoot better than 37 percent from long distance, which will prove too much for Cuse’s 2-3 zone.

Kentucky (No. 1) out of the East region over Baylor (No. 3) out of the South region.

I really like this Baylor team, the length of Ekpe Udoh, the scoring of LaceDarius Dunn, the name of Tweety Carter. The problem they’ve faced this year is that when they encounter a team that can score in bunches, especially at the guard spot, and who do they face here?

Only the consensus number one draft pick, John Wall. 

Wall is going to light it up this game and Baylor won’t be able to keep pace. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kentucky put up 85 points in this game. 

Kentucky (No. 1) over Ohio State (No. 2) in the national championship game.

Last year I got in trouble for trusting freshman to lead their team to a championship.

Well, I haven’t learned my lesson. The freshman trio of Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe are just too good together. 

Wall has Carmelo Anthony ability to carry his team to the championship on his own, but with the most dominant low post player this year in Cousins and junior leader in Patrick Patterson, he has a supporting cast that is just loaded with talent. 

This team reminds many of the 1992 Michigan Fab Five team and with good reason. 

It would have to take a special group of freshman to restore my trust in young players leading their team to the title, and this is it. I’m pretty sure I’m safe from Kentucky getting knocked out in the first round, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be sweating it out when they play. 

I’m sure all of you, stopped reading 700 words ago so I’ll end this here. Let the madness begin! And let the roasting of my picks and calling me an idiot begin!

Contact Curtis Uemura at [email protected]