Flooded Learning Center back up and running

Photo of ESL coordinator Katy Agnost in 2013. Agnost discussed the new ESL certificates

On Dec. 21 to Dec. 26, the Learning Center Building suffered damages from substantial flooding. According to Vice President of Finance and Administration Chris Leivas, the flood originated when a contractor associated with the school’s IT infrastructure project drilled a hole in the Learning Center roof and failed to re-patch it up.

Over the course of the next five days, there were heavy amounts of rain in Pleasant Hill and on the DVC campus. Fortunately, the flooding was noticed quickly enough so that the damages were contained. “The contractors working on the IT infrastructure project noticed the damage on the morning of Dec. 26. College personnel were notified and were on the scene by 10 am on Dec. 26,” said Leivas.

According to Kim Schenk, the senior dean of the Workforce, Economic Development, Grants, and Contract Division, the flood caused water damages on both the first and second floors. Classes on the north side of the building were fine, but the south side of the building had noticeable damages to the ceiling tiles. Some carpeting had to be replaced as well, but it were the base boards on the building’s walls that were most affected by the flood.

The Learning Center has been essential over the years in providing tutoring services and many other academic tools for the English and math departments which help students to be successful in the classroom. Understandably, there was great concern whether or not the damages would be repaired by the beginning of the spring semester. Fortunately for the administration and students of DVC, the repairs were executed rapidly and efficiently, preventing any setbacks to the capabilities of the Learning Center.

“There was an adjustment to the tutor’s training schedules, and appointments had to be rescheduled. In terms of setbacks to the semester, fortunately, the entire Learning Center was up to full speed by the start of school and no students were affected,” said Rachel Westlake, dean of the Mathematics, Computer Science, and Business Education Division.

The financial costs and damages of the flood have not been fully tallied to this point, but according to Chris Leivas,  it is expected to be covered by the contractor’s insurance.

Pablo Caballero contributed to this story.

Katy Agnost discusses the Learning Center’s recovery process. (Photo by Pablo Caballero)
Dean Rachial Westlake talks about the impact of the flooding. (Photo by Pablo Caballero)