DVC hosts annual transfer day

Colorful tables with representatives from more than 60 colleges occupied the library squad on Tuesday, Oct.29th.

Hosted by the DVC Career, Employment, and Transfer Center, transfer day aims to expose students to a wide range of options for transferring.

Dennis Franco, transfer services coordinator says, “The purpose of Transfer Day is [to] gives students the opportunity to meet with college and university representatives from throughout the world [and] to get to know their campuses and programs in greater detail.”

The event hosted colleges including CSU’s, UC’s, out of state universities and California private colleges.

What is different this year is that we have a school coming from as far away as Japan,” Franco said.

Colleges attended the event to provide information to students intending to apply to their campuses.

“I am here to talk to students who want to transfer to Humboldt State, that are looking for options after Diablo Valley College,” Stacie Lyans, a representative from Humboldt State University, said. “It’s beneficial for me as a counselor, because I’m able to connect with [students] on a personal level, to talk to them to see if they are going to be a good fit for my campus.”

Renelle Green, a representative from UC Davis said, “[Transfer Day] is beneficial for me because it gets our name out there. We’re not quite as popular as UC Berkeley and UCLA, so this gives us some exposure to the students. We have the opportunity to let the students know that we have environmental sciences and veterinary sciences [as well as] some of the things that make UC Davis unique.”

In addition, some colleges sent representatives from specific programs in order to raise awareness and participation in these special services.

“I am trying to give students transferring from DVC to SF State information about majors that we have at SF State and recruit excellent students for our flagship program,” shares Mia Sabora from San Francisco State University’s Chinese Flagship Program. “Flagship program is a wonderful program for students interested in studying Chinese with their majors.”

Debra Tato, a representative from UC Berkely said, “We have a program for newly admitted transfer students in the summer time. We really want to make sure that students know about that because we think it’s a really valuable opportunity for them to get their classes started and we always find that students are always interested at these kinds of fairs.”

Civil engineering major Valerie Lawrencia shared that she got to learn more about schools, which expanded her potential transfer application list.

Robert Bernal, a cognitive science major, came with a specific goal: to ask about his major and transferring. Bernal talked specifically with Sacramento State and UC Berkeley, but he wished that the line to meet with the UC Berkeley representative was shorter, as we waited for about thirty minutes to ask short questions and sign up to be on the mailing list.

Representatives noted that students from DVC are different from those at other colleges, because they were well prepared, from diverse backgrounds and showed a broad range of interests.

After 15 years of holding this annual event, Franco noted that he is considering holding another transfer day for the spring semester.