MUN host mini conference

Turkey’s oil pipeline has exploded, leaving the rest of the world dependent on Russia’s oil. Tensions between Iran and the

United States heat up over how to handle the reformation of Egypt. China destroys a United States aircraft carrier that violated international waters territorial agreements.

While these events may not necessarily happen in the immediate future, preparing for such dire circumstances can mean the difference between global cooperation and anarchy or tyranny.

Model United Nations gave such hands on experiences for students of DVC and College of Marin, who joined our students for MUN’s one and only home conference this semester on Friday.

MUN has a wide amount of appeal, just ask club president of general assembly Jantsankhorol Damdinsuren, whose last semester at MUN has him hoping to work for non-profit organizations.

“Though MUN is aimed at educating students in international relations,” says Damdinsuren, who goes by the nickname Jants, “It’s good practice for all majors.” All members act their part, and most if not all facts are accounted for in practice negotiation engagements. These practice engagements include handling considered terrorist threats, deposition of government, and environmentally friendly alternatives to oil.

Running all these events with Damdinsuren is the moderator, Lexie Williams. “In Model United Nations, it’s tough trying to calm the crowds yet still keep developments exciting,” says Williams. “To do that we have to coordinate with the crisis team effectively.”

The crisis team offers news developments as resolutions are made, guaranteeing a learning atmosphere of adaptability rather than theory. These immersive procedures enable communicative skills as more of a practice than a study, letting members enjoy a truly hands on learning experience.

“Since joining Model United Nations, I’ve seen an improvement in my speaking skills,” says Rey da Vila, United States delegate who won Best Delegate at the conference, “I’ve become a better speaker overall.”

Better communication builds a better community, and College of Marin’s Nima Zarkoub noted this conference as significant in building community between Diablo Valley and Marin. “We’re glad we were invited to this conference,” says Nima, College of Marin’s student representative and China delegate, “it’s important for our education to expand our horizons.”

Model United Nations serves to expand horizons for future careers, and fills students with a passion for the subject. “Model United Nations has helped me realize my status as an international citizen, regardless of my origin,” explains

Alexei Smirnov, DVC student and Russian delegate, “I’m learning to stand up for those who can’t stand up for themselves.”

While developing these interests in students, Model United Nations still serves to bring people together and make it enjoyable.

“Its really well done, in terms of accuracy,” says Adela Jones, visiting College of Marin student and German delegate, “but fun is the most important thing to incorporate.”