Bears score Neu coach

Mike Neu, former DVC baseball head coach. Now pitching coach for Cal Berkeley. (Courtesy of Cal Athletics)

Cal’s athletic department decided it was time to bring aboard a pitching coach who would consistently lead the Golden Bears to the College World Series.

The Bears didn’t have to scour the conferences seeking a coach from a competitive NCAA program.

In fact, they were able to acquire a gifted young coach who had a stellar background in developing quality programs built around pitching.

Cal found its gem much closer to the Caldecott tunnel.

It was Diablo Valley College’s head baseball coach Mike Neu.

Neu had a history at DVC, having led the Vikings to an 87-41 record during his three seasons in Pleasant Hill. He also added two Big 8 Conference Titles to a Vikings baseball program already acquainted with talent.

His influence was widely appreciated amongst the players he coached.

“A real great guy, always taught us how to behave on and off the field. He taught us how to present ourselves. He prepared us for the adversities of life. He was one of the better coaches I’ve ever had,” said Matt Burks, the Vikings center fielder.

Burks’ sentiments are a fine testimony to Neu’s dedication and coaching philosophy.

“I think a lot of these athletes choose DVC because they know they can transfer easily and continue towards their goals,” Neu said as he considered his time at DVC.

Cal’s decision to go with Neu was based on its belief that he could build on a resurrected program. It would be a fragile task, indeed, for the former Vikings skipper. Neu, however, is enthused about the challenge.

“This has been a great move for me,” he said. “I have great memories from DVC. I had wonderful relationships there with the players and staff. But I’m really excited about the opportunity to coach at Cal.”

Neu’s transition to UC Berkeley is similar to the journey many DVC students make when they transfer to Cal.

It involves the same excitement and uncertainty.

The process bears the same responsibility; allowing access to vast resources that absolutely must be treated and used with reverence.

It is a delicate balance for one to strike, but is parallel to an element that seems to be abundant in the personality at DVC.

It’s why Cal recognizes DVC as the talent pool that it is.

It’s why the Bears enroll droves of the DVC student body.

And it’s why Cal offered the job to Neu.