Viking basketball looks to win big this season

Ronnie Baker shoots during basketball practice. (Mike Alfieri / DVC Inquirer)

The Vikings Men’s Basketball team returns this season with high expectations.

They’re not being imprudent; DVC is ranked No. 3 in a state preseason poll conducted by all of the coaches.

People all over the state are taking notice of the Vikings and expect them to be contending all season long.

Last season, the Vikings won the Big 8 conference championship and battled their way into the Final Eight, before being beat by Fresno City College.

The Vikings are led by the other worldly scoring of point guard Brian Goins. Goins was the MVP of the Big 8 Conference last season as well as receiving First Team All-State honors.

Goins hasn’t been without assistance. The post-play of Raphael Carter and Tyrelle Phillips takes the pressure off of him and keeps the defense honest .

Carter receives the ball well in the post and works defensive mismatches with adept skill. Phillips is an explosive post-player that can get to the basket by slashing through defenses and gaining leverage with his frame.

But what makes Goins so dynamic is that he is part of a growing trend in basketball. He is a hybrid point guard that can deliver the ball and attract defenders, but also take the role of a primary scoring threat.

The latter is a responsibility that Goins accepted quite enthusiastically, as he averaged 30.4 points during the last 11 games of the season.

“He reminds you a lot of Brandon Jennings of the Milwaukee Bucks,” said coach Steve Coccimiglio. “You expect him to be a point guard, but then he just keeps scoring on you. He plays that role very well.”

Goins is a merciless opponent. During one campaign last season he amassed 66 points – which is hard enough to do on a playground, let alone within the confines of college basketball game.

He’s also a classy athlete who remains vigilant and humble: “Not once does he look up at anybody for recognition, he just runs back down the court and tries to score again,” said Coccimiglio.

That’s a strong testimony from a coach who reached the milestone of  500 wins last season.

Coccimiglio reached 500 wins faster than any coach in state history, which is as impressive as it is revealing.

You don’t reach a record of 508-194 without commitment  and dedication to your program. Coccimiglio is in his 22nd year at Diablo Valley College and his experience helps shed some light on the successes of his basketball program.

Coccimiglio has great expectations for his team this year, a position he shares with the majority of coaches in the conference. His record shows that he doesn’t blow calls very often, and knows his team well.

He is the complete coach, as seen by his defensive adjustments throughout the game.

Which is why we should heed the call when he says of Brian Goins, “I think if you don’t come out and see him this season, you’re really missing something.”

People everywhere are taking notice of Goins and this teams fantastic chance to win the state championship this year.

Sports editor Scott Annis contributed to this article