No injury or opponent can contest Darya Ashim’s historical triumph

Entering the 2013 Women’s Tennis Season, Darya Ashim hoped to overcome an unfortunate knee injury which sidelined her tennis career nearly two years. She returned to the court with the goal of mastering the sport she has loved ever since her grandfather introduced it to her as a child.

“I suffered a really bad injury when I was 16. I tore my meniscus and that was really bad,” Ashim explained. “Last semester was the first time I held a racket again so it was pretty nice to actually win something and compete again after not competing for so long.”

She certainly silenced any remaining doubt the injury had left by earning the Big 8 Conference MVP award and the 2013 ITA National Women’s Rookie Player of the Year, all while claiming the number one ranked spot in Nor-Cal and number five ranking in California for Women’s Tennis. She is the first student-athlete in DVC’s history to win the ITA Women’s Rookie Player of the Year, a truly remarkable accomplishment.

“I’ve been working really hard for the past four or five months to get to that position. When I actually won, I felt really proud of myself and proud of my coaches,” Ashim said. “I felt like I was representing DVC in a good way.”

Darya displayed a work ethic and unmatched determination that not only led to her great personal success, but contributed to leading the Women’s Tennis team to a highly respectable 2013 campaign. The team represented DVC very well by finishing the season with an 11-3 record overall, while boasting the number three ranking in Nor-Cal and number five ranking in California.

“Darya elevated everybody’s game, not only on our team but the entire Big 8 Conference,” said Assistant Coach Ruthie Ignacio. “She was the one to beat!”

Her story has been inspirational to her teammates, coaches, and all who have witnessed or shared a part in the tennis program. In the last several months, Ashim has gone from a DVC rookie to a national standout, garnering transfer and scholarship interest from Sonoma State University and Holy Names University.

“Wherever Darya goes she will leave her mark on the tennis court for which ever program she chooses to transfer to and play for,” Head Coach Jackie Ponciano-Babb said. “She definitely has made her case for becoming the first female tennis player to eventually be inducted into the Diablo Valley College Athletics Hall of Fame.”

Nothing stands in the way of Ashim’s success. She has overcome injury and come back stronger than ever, leaving a legacy and setting a valiant example for all student-athletes to follow in her footsteps.

“Darya is the type of student-athlete that a coach would love to have as part of their program,” Ponciano-Babb said. “As long as she believes in herself and executes her game plan she will more than likely win her match.”

It is her desire and self-confidence that have propelled her to win in such an impressive fashion. However, at the end of the day, she plays for the love of the game. She is simply doing what she enjoys and does best.

“I just really like the experience. Win or lose, I actually like going on the court and trying my best, showing everyone else what I got.” Ashim said. “I love being on the court with other people.”