Controversial athlete seeks second chance

Zachary Dalton, Staff member

A former University of Oregon basketball player accused of sexual assault studied and practiced at Diablo Valley College this semester

Dominic Artis, 21, was released from the University of Oregon basketball team as well as being expelled from the university earlier this year after sexual assault allegations were made towards him.

A Sept. 4 article by Hayden Kim of the Daily Emerald, University of Oregon’s student newspaper, says Artis will attend DVC and redshirt with the basketball team for the 2014-2015 school year in hopes of returning to a Division I university next year.

Neither Artis nor DVC’s head basketball coach, Steve Coccimiglio, would talk about the situation.

However, Coccimiglio told Andrew Greif of the Oregonian in September that Artis deserves a second chance and having him practice at DVC is an opportunity for him to get back to the next level.

A report released by the Eugene Police Department detailed allegations that Artis and two other University of Oregon basketball players sexually assaulted a woman on March 9.

On April 14, the district attorney decided not to charge any of the three men with assault due to lack of evidence, according to a Daily Emerald article written by Troy Brynelson and Victor Flores.