York Arrested For Past Murder

A suspect has been arrested and charged in the 2004 murder of a 25-year-old DVC student who was killed during a home-invasion robbery across the street from the college, police said.

Michael Fidler was killed May 10, 2004, when two male suspects entered his apartment on Golf Club Road through an unlocked door, according to a Pleasant Hill Police Department press release.

Although Fidler’s roommate gave police descriptions of the robbers, no arrests were made at the time, and the case went cold until October 2007, when new leads developed and two suspects were identified, according to the press release.

In 2007, Ramey warrants were issued for the two suspects, Kenneth Paul York, 25, of Walnut Creek and Tyson Vaughn Moorehead, 28, of Pacheco.

York was arrested Sept. 29, 2008 in Reno by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms on an unrelated weapons violation and then transported back to California once it was discovered he had an outstanding warrant for the Pleasant Hill homicide, Pleasant Hill police Lt. Jose Delatorre said in an interview.

The District Attorney’s office filed charges of murder, robbery and burglary against York on Oct. 10. He is being held without bail awaiting trial.

Moorehead remains at large, Delatorre said.

Police believe the suspects had planned to rob Fidler of several pounds of marijuana and several thousand dollars, all of which was recovered by police. He was shot multiple times around 1:10 a.m. in the upper body during a struggle with one of the two robbers. His roommate, who was asleep in another room, was not injured.

Delatorre said it doesn’t appear the suspects knew York or his roommate.