Breslin strikes fear into the hearts of his opponents

Morgan Breslin, No. 8, stands and listens to coaches with teammates during a game. (Courtesy of DVC Athletics)

Fear is one of the first feelings running through the opposing quarterback’s head as they take the field against the DVC Vikings. Pain is a close runner-up.

The Vikings are 5-0 to start the season due in large part to their outstanding defense, led by starting defensive end Morgan Breslin.

Morgan Breslin is in his second year as a Viking and is committed to play football for UCLA with a full-ride scholarship, hopefully starting in the spring semester.

During his time at DVC he got offers from ten schools, including nationally-ranked football programs such as Boise State, but for Breslin UCLA was an easy decision. “They were the best choice academically,” he said.

UCLA is getting more than a hard worker in the classroom. Breslin is an explosive player, with seven sacks in the first three games of the season.

The numbers, however impressive, don’t mean much to Breslin. “I don’t care about sacks or tackles for a loss,” said Breslin. “As long as the team is winning that’s all I care about.”

That explosiveness reminds many people, including Defensive Line Coach John Morales, of another Viking; albeit a purple one from Minnesota, NFL Defensive End Jared Allen. “He definitely has that motor in him,” said Coach Morales with a chuckle.

Although Breslin’s career at DVC has been highlighted by success, it was not always that way.

In the start of his freshman season, he faced a huge set back with torn ligaments in his foot.

The injury sidelined him for the entire season. “It’s hard to be in the stands,” said Breslin. “You want to be on the field to help your teammates.”

Having dealt with adversity, nothing can be done to hinder Breslin’s progress. “If there is one word I could use to describe Morgan, it’s determination,” said Coach Morales. “He didn’t let it [the injury] slow him down.”

“If you’re worrying about being injured, then you’re not playing the game right,” said Breslin. “You have to go hard the whole time and do the best you can every play.”

Along with that determination, Breslin is known for his extreme work ethic. “The guy is a real hard worker,” says Mike Darr, the Vikings Head Coach. “He deserves everything he gets.”

With so many accolades at such a young age, it’s easy for some men to lose their heads.

Not so for Breslin, who had these parting words: “I need to thank Coach Morales for teaching me everything I know. It’s because of him most of us on the D-Line have Division 1 scholarships this year. The whole team this year is stacked on offense and defense