DVC art gallery gets ‘inked’

More than just a little community college art show, the DVC Art Gallery is the focal point of the art student’s learning experience and an important platform for artists.

The gallery is currently serving as host for “Inked Surfaces,” which does not feature any DVC students. However, the value of the gallery to students goes far beyond showcasing their work. The current show as with most shows is put on to compliment the current learning program.

The gallery serves as a learning tool and training aid. Arthur Scott King, DVC art gallery coordinator and instructor says it is “part gallery, part museum, part laboratory, all wrapped in one. It is a way for students to learn how to sell and promote themselves.”

The gallery offers a type of training to students from organizing, to promoting, to coordinating.

In this case it is a print workshop and students can view an artist’s work first hand.

The gallery is also involved with federal work study program which provides the gallery with free labor while the gallery in return offers formal training. Many of the previous gallery trainees have gone off to do larger gallery work and coordination.

King, who has been with the DVC art department since 1997, has seen many successes come from and through the gallery including established artist  such as Robert Brady, Deborah Butterfield, and Mel Ramos to name a few.

For an artist to have their own show at the gallery is a “big deal.” It’s one of the reasons people are drawn in to submit their work to the gallery. A solo show is the first prize for the Inked Surfaces exhibit which had more than 600 submissions throughout the nation with only 47 chosen to be judged on Saturday’s showcase.

The gallery is more than a place to showcase art it is a community of artists and art lovers formed amongst a college campus. King also states, “It’s how we share our experiences. From the students, to the staff, to the artist, community college it’s who we are, building bridges and connecting people together.”