The wine must taste of its own grapes

In the midst of a Speech 120 class in DVC with Professor Patrick Moe, he mentioned that the book title “Of Mice and Men” by John Steinbeck is an allusion to a line from a Robert Burns poem, which is titled “To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough”. In the poem, Burns stated that “The best laid schemes of mice and men go often awry”, paralleling George and Lennie’s plans that went awry in the book. Inspired by Professor Moe’s revelation in the Speech class, this article would encompass the themes that are present and dominant in Steinbeck’s two primary works — “Of Mice and Men”, and “The Grapes of Wrath”.

In the Burns’ poem, the field worker reflects on his regret after destroying a mouse’s nest, serving as a parallel to Lennie’s accidental harming of animals and finally murdering Curley’s wife whom he had no intention of killing. From “Of Mice and Men”, avid Steinbeck fans or readers would be able to discern the overarching themes present in his books, in which would be encapsulated in this review of “The Grapes of Wrath” by tying them back to the themes present in “Of Mice and Men”.

An evident theme that is present in both books is hope that diminishes and is eventually lost. Firstly, the loss of the American Dream is illustrated in the Joads’ family migration to California, where they expected prosperous jobs in a flourishing country. Equipped with what ostensibly seemed to be the best laid plans for their family, the Joad family ran into multiple tribulations such as death within the family, separation of family members, and the birth of a stillborn child. Once they arrived in California, the deceitful image of California as a thriving city with multifarious jobs is unraveled, representing the extinguished American dream that portrays ambiguity and false hope. This loss of hope is also evident in “Of Mice and Men”. Curley’s wife used to envision herself becoming a movie star, but her aspirations for fame and fortune are an enormous contrast with her desolate living circumstances in a farm and entrapped within a failed marriage. Crooks and Candy also fantasized along with George and Lennie on the dream farm they would someday live in. However, with Lennie’s death, the American Dream of freedom, liberation and success is tragically destroyed. The dreams of George and Lennie to own a farm that would navigate them towards financial stability and independence are permanently shattered.

In “The Grapes of Wrath”, Rose of Sharon’s pregnancy represents a burden that has to be endured by the family members. Encountering various hardship and tumultuous occurrences in their lives, the Joad family demonstrate a strong sense of fortitude, resilience, and solidarity. This sense of togetherness is also present in “Of Mice and Men”. Despite Lennie’s mental disability — which can be paralleled to the stillborn nature of Rose of Sharon’s baby — George is loyal towards their friendship and protects him from the consequences of his own actions. Unfortunately, the latter book ends with a tragic ending of George killing his own friend in order to protect him from the inevitable punishment that he would have to face; therefore epitomizing on the nature of loyalty, courage, and dignity.

“The Grapes of Wrath” also saliently underline the avaricious nature of profit-making industries and the injurious effects on lower income families. When Tom arrives back at home from the prison, he witnesses a barren state of his abandoned housing vicinity. The wealthy landowners had ordered an evacuation and everyone was expected to move out from the city, and a tractor proceeds to demolish houses. The tactile and visual imagery of the demolishment symbolize the destruction of hopes and dreams of the poor inhabitants. Similarly, in “Of Mice and Men”, the death of Lennie illustrates the unattainable nature of George and Lennie’s dream farm. With his death, the farm that the two men plan to live on will forever remain as an illusion, an unachievable dream that was destroyed with the aural impact of the gunshot that ended Lennie’s life.

Following the themes that have been discussed, the DVC Drama will perform “The Grapes of Wrath” from October 19 to November 11. Directed by Ed Trujillo, tickets cost $10 for students; $15 for faculty, staff and seniors; and $20 for general admission. Tickets may be purchased at the DVC Cashier’s office, or at the Box Office outside the Performing Arts Center an hour before the show, tickets may also be ordered online, or purchased by calling (925) 687-4445.