Women’s Soccer on the Way to Victory Despite Team Changes

DVC’s soccer team started off the season on the right foot with three straight wins, including two shutouts over Ohlone and Evergreen Valley colleges.

Key to the Vikings’ strong play was freshman Kristen Elms, who has already scored six goals this young season, coupled with the stellar play of goalkeeper Nina Cefalo, who allowed just three goals in the first four games.

DVC lost Cefalo to a thumb injury during the team’s trip to San Luis Obispo to play Cuesta College on Sept. 5.

Initially the Vikings’ coaching staff believed the thumb injury was a torn ligament, which would still allow her to play.

But after Cefalo played against Saddleback and the team returned home, they learned the bone in her thumb had pulled away and required surgery.

With Cefalo’s season cut short, the team will rely on redshirtfreshman Courtney Hart to carry the team to its second straight regional playoff berth.

Head Coach Cailin Mullins is still optimistic about the team’s chances this year.

“Courtney is a good backup to have,” Mullins said.

Since Hart has taken over the team’s goalkeeper duties, DVC is 1-1, beating De Anza Sept. 12 on the road and losing at Solano on Sept. 16, while allowing three goals over that period.

Coach Mullins will look to the returning players to provide leadership after losing Cefalo, namely returning stars, Allison Nolen and Krystal Moreno.

Moreno was the heart of the team that made it to the regional playoffs last year as the No. 12 seed. However, she missed the last game of the regular season because of an ankle injury and couldn’t play in DVC’s firstround loss to No. 5 seed Yuba.

That loss stung, as the Vikings thought they would get homefield advantage by placing in the top two of the Big 8 Conference but missed by one spot.

Nolen is second on the team in scoring, trailing only freshman Kristen Elms, who leads the team with 13. Nolen was also pegged by Mullins as the fastest player on the team.

“I think the chemistry between the girls this year is looking better than last year, which is always a plus,” said Nolen, T

he team has set a goal this year of getting beyond the first round of the playoffs and placing in the top three of the Big 8 Conference, Mullins said.

“I think it is very much within our reach” she added.

The Vikings play at West Hills College tomorrow before beginning conference play on Sept. 30 against Santa Rosa College.