College Clubs Go Hungry

DVC clubs will likely have to find other ways to advertise themselves or raise money now that the Contra Costa Heath Department is strictly enforcing rules governing the sale of food on campus.

All clubs are allowed to host two events a semester that represent their culture, ethnicity or special interest.

And usually those events include food as a major draw.

But that may change.

“These rules were always in place,” said George Delfabro, DVC’s Food Services Manager, “but they are really cracking down recently and looking at them in a black-and-white fashion.”

Delfabro knows these rules – spelled out in the California Retail Food Code – because they cover every eating area on campus.

To comply, the clubs must submit an application for a temporary food event permit and fees ($35 per non-profit booth/$90 per profit booth) at least two weeks prior to the event.

All food offered for sale or given away must be from commercial sources – not homemade or from an unlicensed vendor.

The rules also require that the food is prepared either inside an approved food booth or at commercial food facility. Cooking outside the booth is restricted to an open-air barbecue, where the food is in direct contact with the heat source.

Other rules cover temperature control; hand washing stations; how utensils are rinsed, washed and sanitized; how garbage is to be stored; and hygiene practices required of food handlers.

Violations carry fines of $25 to $1,000 and imprisonment of up to six months.

“The thing is, if even only a percentage of students get sick from something on campus, then it is a big deal and that is why these rules are in place,” Delfabro said.

Student Alicia Fambrini, the commissioner of administrative affairs for the Inter-Club Council called the rules “a bit extreme” but added, “I do see that it’s necessary to take those provisions in case there was an incident where people got sick.”

Hilda Mendoza, president of the Latino Student Alliance said the rules will have an impact on the club’s future events.

“I wish I could fundraise with different foods from the Latino culture,” Mednoza said. “But with so much restrictions, I feel we can’t do it.”

The Indonesian Club had first-hand experience with the rules when they hosted a major event two weeks ago.

“I think the rules are too strict,” said Indonesian Club President Elizabeth Elizabeth.