Vikings Prevail after close defeat

()
()

DVC’s potent offense, led by freshman quarterback Blake Wayne, dominated Contra Costa College en route to a 64-15 manhandling on Saturday. 

Wayne led the offense, completing 10 of 11 passes for 204 yards and three touchdowns. He even completed eight straight passes at one point.

Wayne also was a threat on the ground, rushing for two scores and using his mobility to routinely elude the Comets’ pass rush.

“He’s a kid who does everything the right way,” said head coach Mike Darr.  “It takes a lot of pressure off a lot of people, but it also forces guys to step up their game and their preparations.”

Wayne said the win gave the team confidence, because they know what they are capable of doing.

“We didn’t play our best football, and we still dominated pretty well,” Wayne said. “The team knows that once we play our best we are going to be pretty hard to stop.”

After the first series of the game, it looked as if the Vikings’ defense might be in for a long day. 

Preseason All-American defensive lineman Josh Nunu went down with an ankle injury on the second play of the game and would not return.

“We expect him to be back this week,” Darr said.  “By the end of the game he had gotten rid of the crutches.”

Without Nunu the rest of the Viking defense stepped up and held the Comets’ offense to seven points for three quarters, only allowing another score after the game was out of reach. 

The defense was led by linebacker Andrew Halafihi who notched three sacks and was unstoppable rushing off the edge.

DVC totaled six sacks in the game and was constantly in the backfield putting pressure on Contra Costa’s quarterback. 

It wasn’t just the pass rush that excelled. The Vikings’ secondary was a step ahead of the Comets the whole game, constantly jumping routes and coming up with three interceptions. 

Darr wasn’t entirely happy with his secondary after the game.

“They made more mental mistakes than they did against Sierra [Collge],” Darr said. “Some little things have to get worked out before we get to teams who are going to make us pay for them.”

The first interception set the tone for the Vikes, as cornerback Maurice Moore intercepted a Comets’ pass in the end zone and returned it all the way to DVC’s 49 yard line late in the first quarter to set up a rushing touchdown by Wayne. 

“As a member of the defense, I can say that we were overall happy with our performance but disappointed in our energy level all game,” safety Naeem Forrester said. “We missed a few assignments which resulted in Contra Costa scoring more than once.”

The Vikings wide receivers supplied big plays throughout the game, with Michael Adan catching two 48-yard touchdown passes and Daniel Adler adding both a 36 and 12-yard touchdown catch. 

Both receivers totaled more than 200 yards combined in the game, with Adler having a game high 104 yards receiving.

Adler also racked up 66 yards on kick returns, even having an 80-yard return for a touchdown nullified due to a penalty. 

“To have a receiving core like this it makes things easier,” Wayne said. “I’m not just relying on one guy. Both them and my offensive line were key in the game.” 

Lavonte Green led the rushing attack with 79 yards and a touchdown on only four carries, including a 53-yard touchdown run late in the second quarter.

With the win, the Vikings improve to 1-1 on the year.

DVC rebounded from a tough loss to Sierra in the season opener, which saw the Vikes stay with the No. 2-ranked team in the state only to give up a couple of big plays to seal their fate. 

The Vikings play host to Los Medanos College on Friday, Sept. 18. 

The Mustangs are 2-0 on the year and have the state’s No. 3-ranked offense and No. 2-ranked defense.