Focus the Nation sets it sights on DVC

DVC is one of 18 college campuses across the nation hosting a Clean Energy Forum this month; the event will take place on Feb. 25 at the Pleasant Hill campus.

The Clean Energy Forum is sponsored by a non-profit organization called Focus the Nation which strives to “empower a generation to power a nation.”

Architecture major and student coordinator Carla Bernal hopes that attendees will enjoy themselves, but she is more concerned that each person leaves with a better understanding of what the future holds.

“I want the event to spark enthusiasm” said Bernal, “green energy is the future and it’s something we should keep in mind.”

Registration is free will begin at 10:30 a.m. in the PAC Theater Area. Members of the community, as well as students, are invited to attend.

Fabiola Ramirez, DVC’s Focus the Nation representative and lead coordinator of the event, has been planning the forum with a small group of DVC students and engineering professor Joe Valdez since October 2010.

The event will consist of three informational sessions and a panel discussion in the PAC Theater. 

Each session will include a 45 minute moderated conversation with guest speakers and a 10 minute question-and-answer period.

Confirmed speakers include Stanford student Teryn Norris, Director of Americans for Energy Leadership.

The final event of the day will be a 70 minute panel discussion which will consist of local government officials. Both State Sen. Mark DeSaulnier and Rep. George Miller have both been approached to participate in the panel but neither have confirmed they will attend.

Attendees will have the opportunity to place their questions in a designated box throughout the day, and selected questions will be asked.

“The goal is to come up with solutions for our current roadblocks,” said Ramirez.

Student coordinator Keith Montes also hopes to reach out to other clubs for endorsements and volunteers. “Students need to recognize the power of coming together and bringing about real change,” he said.

The event will include workshops in PAC rooms 101, 102, and 106. Topics covered in these smaller seminars include healthy eating and recycling.  There will also be a farmers market set up in the Student Union Quad from 12-4 p.m.

To register online for the event visit, www.focusthenation.org/forums.