Students thoughts over fee hikes

Students on campus have had a mixed reaction to the notion of increased fees and cuts to California’s education.

“It pisses me off,” said current DVC student Mariah Martin, 20 of Danville. “I don’t think they should cut from schools, everyone should have a right to education.”

Sarah Macy, nutrition major, came from a four-year college to attend DVC.  “It’s the cheaper choice of going to a four-year,” Macy said.  “Junior college is the cheaper choice with or without the fee increase.”

Gov. Jerry Brown has proposed increasing unit fees from $26 to $36 dollars for community college students and cutting $400 million from community colleges in the 2011-2012 budget. Brown’s proposed budget will cut spending by $12.5 billion and increase revenue by $12 billion. 

The budget deficit is pushing Californians to make tough decisions, and the Governor’s hope of balancing the budget is riding on the hopes of voters’ cooperation. Voters will be asked to extend existing temporary taxes, hoping to create a $1 billion reserve.

“This is a disaster for California, considering community colleges continue to experience record demand due to high unemployment, returning veterans and record high school graduations,” said the California Community College League in a blog post.

The cuts to the colleges will cost 161,141 students their funding, even after an allowance of $110 million added for enrollment growth.

Tim Leong at the Contra Costa Community College District said in a phone interview there were many challenges faced by the proposed cuts. When it comes to determining if the district will cut further educational programs, Leong said, “everything will be evaluated.”

The Contra Costa Community College district supports the fee increase party because tuition makes up a small part of revenue. Vice Chancellor of Administrative Services Kindred Murillo said “The State of California can no longer afford to provide community college higher education for $26 per unit.”

The proposal to raise fees to $36 is an increase of 38 percent, and would generate $100 million.  The fee increase comes on the heels of a 30 percent increase two years ago.

Even at $36 dollars a unit, fees at California Community Colleges are the lowest in the nation.  The next lowest is New Mexico at $40 a unit.

When asked about the possibility of even higher tuition if the temporary taxes are not approved, DVC student Joey Johnson, 18, said, “That’s not a bad thing, I’d be ok with it.”

The California Community College League went on its blog to say, “This certainly feels like the end of an era of sticker-price affordability in California’s community colleges.”

Even with cuts, the Legislative Analyst projects an annual budget shortfall of $17.8 billion over the next five years.