Letter to the Editor: Transfer troubles due to funding failures

Feelings of stress, anxiety and anger kicked off another frustrating beginning of the semester at DVC. When attempting to register for classes last winter on my priority date, every class I needed to take was already full. Not even a spot on the waitlist was available. Being that it’s my last semester at DVC, all of the classes I needed were required in order for me to transfer next fall to a university. Of the classes I needed to finish two of them had only one section available.

Being highly motivated to transfer, I decided to be resourceful and look elsewhere. I was sadly disappointed when there were no comparable classes available at the four local community colleges. With nothing available at other colleges I was left with no other option but to suck up my pride and to beg and plead with professors to let me into their classes.

I was successful in adding some classes due to my determination and in some cases luck in winning a lottery. However, life isn’t always perfect as I was unable to get the classes that I needed for UCLA’s Communication major (which is hard enough to get into with a 10.73 percent admission rate for transfer students).

I began to think, “What can we as students do about our school’s lack of funding so that we can get the classes we need and transfer from DVC in two years? Should we host fundraisers? Allow more companies to sell and promote their products on campus?” I don’t know what the solution is, but I strongly feel that we as students can do something to help improve the situation by taking action.

Best regards,

Rebecca Rainford, student