Ana Torres leads Vikings to playoffs

Ana Torres kicks the ball in a game against Modesto. Torres has nine goals and eight assists on the season. (Mike Alfieri / DVC Inquirer)

After missing the playoffs last year, the DVC soccer team started off the season with a challenge to bounce back and return to the playoffs this year. And meet that challenge, they did. As the season comes to an end, the Vikings prepare for a playoff appearance. One of the key contributors to the Vikings is Ana Torres, a starting Forward in her second year of eligibility.

Torres first took the field with the Vikings in 2009, when they finished 6-6-2 and just barely made the playoffs.

In the following year, Torres sustained a shoulder injury and was forced to red shirt and take the sidelines. “I did about 6 months of rehab and am still do strengthening exercises.” Said Torres, “It was tough, but the sports med trainer Wendy really helped me with my rehab.”

If you saw Torres play today, you would wonder if she was ever really hurt at all.

“I’ve always loved the sport,” said Torres, “but also working towards any kind of scholarship is a big motivator because I pay for school and pretty much everything on my own.”

That motivation to succeed is certainly showing up in Torres’ play, as she is ranked in the top 25 players in the state, with nine goals and eight assists.

“Many teams have a top player or two, but I think our whole team is strong. We don’t look to play one person the ball every time.” This reigns true, as Torres’ stats are not gaudy, but the team is top 5 in the region.

Coach Caitlin Mullins echoes this sentiment. “Our success this season has definitely been our ability to work both sides of the ball.”

Torres is deeply dedicated to her family and is committed to staying in California. “Half of my family lives here, the rest are in Mexico,” said Torres.

As they prepare to play their final game of the season at Viking Stadium today at 3:00 PM, the team sits ranked fourth in the Women’s North region. This will be a good tune up before they host a playoff game.