Magarin leads Vikings to second round of playoffs

Wendy Magarin shoots on goal while practicing at Viking stadium. She leads the team this season in goals and points. ()

Diablo Valley’s soccer team had more success this year than they have had in quite some time. It was their first winning season since 2009 when they were only over .500 by one game. A lot of returning players and excellent coaching led to this. The biggest contributor however wasn’t a sophomore or coach of the year Cailin Mullins, but a first year Freshman Wendy Magarin. Magarin led the team in goals, with 11, and was tied in total points with 28.

“We had really good possessions, and when chances came I stepped up,”  Magarin remarked on how she was so successful this season.

The Forward is the only member of the team coming from Mt. Diablo High School and was recruited by DVC to score goals.

Coach Mullins said, “We recruited her hoping that she could come-in and be a goal scorer for us because this was an area we were lacking last year.”

Her impact showed as the team scored 20 more goals than a season ago in only one more game. In 2010 DVC scored a total of 30 goals in 21 games compared with 2011 when the team scored 50 goals in 22 games.

Mullins went on to say “As the season went on, she became more comfortable and productive in that role.  She is a talented soccer player who is very skillful and deceptive with the ball which makes her difficult to defend.”

Magarin has played soccer since her dad got her into it at four years old.

Having played so long she knows all the ins and outs of the game and has overcome a lot to make it to this point in her career.

“I get mad a lot, and have to overcome my frustration,” said Magarin.

Magarin received two yellow cards this season but never let her frustration completely take over; she never received a red card. Magarin’s anger doesn’t get in the way of her goal scoring; she was seventh in the conference in total points scored and goals scored. She was 28th in the state in points.

Mullins is excited about having as skilled a player as Magarin back for a second year. “She has shown a desire to continue to improve as both an athlete and a soccer player, and as a result I anticipate that she will be an even more threatening goal scorer next year.

Magarin just wants “to be a leader, and win conference next year.”