Mullins wins coach of the year

Cailin Mullins talks to the team during a game in 2009. Mullins won coach of the year in 2011 after leading the team to a 15-4-3 record. ()

The 2011 winner of the Big 8 conference women’s soccer coach of the year is DVC’s Cailin Mullins.

The team finished 15-4-3 and took second in the Big 8 conference behind only the top ranked team in state, Santa Rosa. After winning their first round playoff game against Sierra College 1-0, DVC fell to Modesto 3-2.

After a disappointing sixth place finish in the Big 8 conference a year ago and a 6-12 record DVC was looking to turn things around.

“The biggest reason for our success is our leadership,” Mullins said.

One of the leaders on the team was Wendy Magarin, a starting forward on the team who is happy for her coach saying, “Having not so good of a season last year and then getting second in conference was really good for her.”

Mullins began her coaching career as an assistant at Stanford before coming to DVC in 2001.

After having only three winning seasons since 2003, Mullins needed to change things up saying, “I hope what we did this year is the new standard for the future.”

They finished this season ranked seventh in state, and the huge turn around led to Mullins winning coach of the year. Magarin in her first year of eligibility led the team in goals with 11. Ana Torres did her part with 10 goals and eight assists.

“You don’t win an award like this by yourself. This is a team win,” Mullins said.

As humble as she is Mullins isn’t going to stop now. “I hope to end my career here at DVC,” Mullins said. She will have many more years to build on this years success.