Vikings “Best” Panthers in shootout

“Teamwork and dedication” were the first words that sophomore running back CJ Best used to describe the Vikings’ bounce back win against Sacramento City College, on Sophomore Night at Viking Stadium. The Sophomores provided a second half surge of offense after Best and teammates all agreed it was “time to come with it” at the half, a philosophy that led to a 38-15 win for the Vikings.

Best, who teammate Damon Collins described as “the truth”, scored touchdowns through the air (passing) and on the ground (rushing) – one of which came from a fourth quarter sprint through the Panthers’ defense and into the end-zone following a failed onside kick. “We did a better job of sticking to our priorities,” Best said of the increase in Viking offense after the half.

Head coach Mike Darr accurately described the contest as a “well-fought game” against a “physical and athletic” Sacramento team that tried to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. “I challenged the guys to do what they worked so hard to do,” Darr said of his halftime adjustments, which allowed the Vikings to do “what they’ve done all year against tough competition.”

The bowl game implications for both teams increased the stakes, as Sacramento City’s offensive and defensive lines made physical plays, sacking DVC quarterback Quinn Kaehler on numerous drop back plays. The Panthers committed to their run game offensively, relying on the linemen to make space for their star running back Lanier Logan. The Vikings’ defense remained disciplined in their assignments throughout the game, wrapping up instead of trying to arm-tackle the elusive Panther running back.

Wide receiver Diante Jackson made several spectacular catches in the second half, along with an opportunity on special teams that he converted, returning an onside kick attempt for a touchdown. He attributed the second half surge to his team’s ability to “come together to get it done.” Jackson went on to express thanks to the offensive coordinator and the wide receivers coach.

In a hard-hitting, cold-weather struggle, the Vikings were able to triumph. It’s a victory that coach Darr believes will put the Vikings in contention for a Bowl game, about which the coach said, “the guys deserve that.”