Offense sputters in loss to Cosumnes River

DVC was unable to kick start it’s offense in a 1-6 loss to Cosumnes River on Thursday, March 14.

Cosumnes River jumped on starter Ben Krauth early. Their leadoff man struck a triple down the right field line, then scored when third baseman Ryan Kochan fielded the second batter’s grounder but slipped on his throw home. A RBI double made it 0-2. Krauth seemed to find his groove by striking out the next two batters, but a RBI single brought the man at 2nd home, giving Cosumnes River a 0-3 lead after the 1st inning.

Krauth flipped the script in the 2nd inning, notching his third and fourth strikeouts en route to a shut down inning. However, DVC’s offense couldn’t cut into the lead, going down 1-2-3.

Cosumnes River added a run in the 3rd. DVC finally broke through in the 4th. Davis Strong led off with a double down the left field line and Devin Alexander drove him in on a 1-out single, making it 1-4. That would be the Vikings’ only run of the game.

Cosumnes River got their fifth run in the 5th inning, when a no-out double play with the bases loaded allowed the runner from third to score.

Cody Ball relieved Krauth in the 6th, allowing just one run in his four innings of work. Unfortunately for him, the offense struggled for the remainder of the game, going down quietly in each inning he pitched.

Coach Dan Luquet was disappointed with his team’s work at the plate, but did give credit to the opposition’s pitching. “The pitcher did a good job of changing speeds, and getting in on our hands,” he said.

He saw a fairly simple solution to getting back on track. “We gotta get back to swinging the bat. We gotta be aggressive at home plate.”