Real Vikings wear pink

The DVC Lacrosse club will be draped in pink and green come Saturday, Nov. 23 to spread cancer awareness during the hosted benefit game against Santa Rosa Junior College.

Sparked by a DVC student athlete’s diagnosis and ensuing battle against the overpowering disease this year, spreading awareness of the battles that people endure when they are diagnosed is something that DVC lacrosse wanted to do, and will do via the benefit game.

The student was enrolled in classes at DVC, and is a member of DVC’s swim team as well, but is no longer taking classes as a result of the battle.

According to Terry Armstrong, the head coach of DVC’s Lacrosse Club, The American Cancer Society will be on hand to collect admission donations at the door: $5 for adults, $2 for students of all ages.

The big game against the Vikings’ California Junior College Lacrosse Association (CJCLA) rival, will be against the Santa Rosa Junior College Bear Cubs, and all admission donations will go directly to the American Cancer Society, to support the cause.

Both the Bear Cubs and the Vikings will participate in a pre-game ceremony honoring not only those who have been victims of cancer, but also the specific student.

The ceremony will begin at 7:00 p.m., with the game to follow at approximately 7:15 p.m.

The symbology represented by the two teams’ pre-game demonstration speaks to the support that is given to all of those that undergo and have underwent one of the most difficult diseases one can be diagnosed with.

“Both teams will no doubt play great, inspired lacrosse on this evening, Armstrong said. “Please mark your calendars now, and come for the cancer benefit and stay for the game.”