DVC Academic Senate speed-bumps change in parking regulation

Racist graffiti was found again on the Pleasant Hill campus on March 25 at 9 p.m. The news arose to faculty and the student body on March 26. (Samantha Laurey/The Inquirer)

Samantha Laurey

Samantha Laurey

Samantha Laurey

Edwin Chen, Staff member

The Academic Senate voted in opposition of board policy 20.1 during their first meeting on Feb. 5. If the proposed changes were implemented, it would require cars to have a permit while parked on campus at all times.

“The Senate feels that these changes would negatively impact students, departments across campus and the broader community which we strive to serve,” said biology and health-science representative Kimberly Taugher.

According to Taugher, the change was proposed by the Contra Costa School District and while the Senate made their stance clear on tightening parking regulation, it is ultimately the decision of the district. However, what seemed to be an open-and-shut case for the Academic Senate, turned into a four-month struggle for ASDVC environmental officer Gerardo-Panda-De La Torre. 

De La Torre and his colleagues began their effort against board policy 20.1 on Nov. 6 2018, when the proposal was brought to the ASDVC sustainability committee for a motion.

“We had many concerns. Initially we were upset that this was being placated into obscurity,” said De La Torre. “There has been no tangible push by its proponents thus far to get the students opinions regarding their reaction or judgement.”

The proposition was unfortunately obscured by the literal and figurative smokescreen of the California wildfire. Busying themselves in response to the disaster, members involved with the traffic regulation pushed its decision to the following term. Meanwhile, the tighter traffic regulation had taken its toll. The horticulture club for example, was desiccated during their annual plant sale.

“All the money from the plant sale goes to fund the department,” said horticulture club members Charlotte Pitt and Talia Minneboo. “By ticketing the people who park for our plant sales, and by not allowing us to give our customers free parking they really impacted our sales, and in turn impacted the department.”

The Academic Senate’s vote of no confidence was a great sign of victory for De La Torre. While the fate of proposition is still unknown, the negative impact of the parking policy has been advocated for and the senate has shown they are willing to be transparent.

“At the end of the day, it’s not very equitable if everyone doesn’t get a chance to have their voice heard,” said Gerardo-Panda-De La Torre.

“I have faith that this is a good start.”

Edwin Chen, Staff member

Staff member, spring 2019.