DVC professor subject of 4chan harassment

Screenshot+of+the+protester+in+the+pink+shirt+being+struck+with+a+bike+lock+during+the+Berkeley+protests+on+April+15%2C+2017+
Screenshot of the protester in the pink shirt being struck with a bike lock during the Berkeley protests on April 15, 2017

Shuttershot45 / YouTube

Shuttershot45 / YouTube

Frank Guitron, Co-editor-in chief

Anonymous 4chan users have claimed to have identified the “Bike Lock Attacker” as an adjunct philosophy professor at Diablo Valley College.

The allegations that this professor was the attacker went viral around Wed. April 19, at 8:24 p.m.

During what twitter users call the “Battle for Berkeley” where a masked assailant dressed all in black with sunglasses and a bandana covering his face hit a protester named Sean Stiles on the top of the head with a bike lock.

The professor in question is not currently working for DVC, but was scheduled to return to work for the summer semester. When attempting to get in contact with the professor we were not able to get a comment as all of his social media accounts seem to have been deleted.

4chan users have released personal information on the professor such as his home address and job locations, however, it is unclear at this time whether or not 4chan is accurate in their identification.

According to a DVC spokesperson these claims are, “based on an unsubstantiated allegation from unknown sources.”

UPDATE:

According to an email sent out from DVC interim​ president Ted Wieden, “The adjunct faculty member that has been alleged to have committed this crime is NOT currently teaching at DVC.”

Wieden also stated that all concerns and questions about the assault that occured should be directed to the Berkeley Police Department, as it falls under their jurisdiction.

Editor’s note: This article was edited on Friday April 21 to include updated information. 

A name was edited from this article on Monday April 24 due to an online threat. 

18 Comments

18 Responses to “DVC professor subject of 4chan harassment”

1. Darrick Evenson on April 20th, 2017 8:45 pm

Of course, the Liberal administrators at DVC will close ranks, and protect one of their own; even though he could have cracked the skull of that guy, who was doing nothing but holding up his hands. Shameful. Absolutely SHAMEFUL. I hope professor (name withheld) goes to jail. Oh, wait, this is California. I’ll be surprised if DVC even suspends him much less fires him.

Nikki Moylan Reply:

Thanks for your comment. We had to edit the name out because Berkeley PD has not confirmed or denied the unidentified at this time.

2. Buck on April 21st, 2017 12:51 am

It must be awful for him, simply awful. All he wanted to do was crack someone’s head open with a bike lock, and these deplorable 4channers think it’s their right to identify him for prosecution.

What about the professor’s right to privacy? He was wearing a mask, that means he didn’t consent to being identified.

3. Sam Hyde on April 21st, 2017 12:55 am

The evidence is overwhelming upon review and (name withheld) should absolutely be charged with attempted murder. He is on video attacking unarmed citizens with a deadly weapon..a hard steel bike lock. SEVERAL TIMES ACROSS MULTIPLE EVENTS.

UNACCEPTABLE.

Nikki Moylan Reply:

We had to edit the name out because Berkeley PD has not confirmed or denied the unidentified at this time.

4. Mama on April 21st, 2017 4:39 am

Really? That’s the only side of the story? Poor guy gets harassed? and this harassment hurts so much more than getting hit with a bike lock on the head?

5. Shawn on April 21st, 2017 7:44 am

Horrible, just horrible 🙁 he used to be one of my favourites, but I DON’T WANT TO BE LECTURED BY A CRIMINAL. #NotMyProf

6. Herp Derp on April 21st, 2017 9:49 am

The evidence speaks for itself, if only you’d actually look through it.

(Name withheld) is a violent animal who committed felony assault.

Frank Guitron Reply:

7. PB on April 21st, 2017 12:43 pm

Even though the allegations might be “unsubstantiated” and there aren’t any charges (yet) against the antifa professor, doesn’t the school staff have an obligation to protect their students? Doesn’t this at least warrant looking into? In the chance that professor is really the person that was assaulting innocent people, shouldn’t the DVC President’s office do some research of their own to know if their employee might be a threat to their students?

Frank Guitron Reply:

We’ve been looking into it, but we haven’t been able to get confirmation nor denial from the Berkeley PD or the President’s office at DVC about the professor in question. We can only state what can be backed up with evidence from credible sources.

8. Nikki Moylan on April 21st, 2017 4:04 pm

Please refer to our commenting policy: “The Inquirer wants to be a forum for discussing issues relevant to the Diablo Valley College community, and for our audience to comment on our coverage.
    By commenting, you give The Inquirer permission to quote, reprint or edit your words. Comments should be brief, have a positive or constructive tone, and stay on topic. If the commenter wants to bring something to The Inquirer’s attention, it should be relevant to the DVC community. Posts can politely disagree with The Inquirer or other commenters.
    Comments should not use abusive, threatening, offensive or vulgar language. They should not be personal attacks or celebrations of other people’s tragedies. They should not overtly or covertly contain commercial advertising. And they should not disrupt the forum.
    Editors may warn commenters or delete comments that violate this policy. Repeated violations may lead to a commenter being blocked.
    Public comments should not be anonymous or come from obviously fictitious accounts. To privately or anonymously bring something to the editors’ attention, contact them at The Inquirer,
    12:30 – 3:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in Room ATC 103,
    Diablo Valley College, 321 Golf Club Road, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523; [email protected]
    Our phone number is:
    925­‐969‐2544″

9. scott mackenzie on April 21st, 2017 4:44 pm

Instead of investigating, what journalists do, you dismiss this story and close ranks, well done future journalists, and I understand this is part of the journalism department? DVC Inquirer doen not believe in a free press or free speech.

10. scott mackenzie on April 21st, 2017 4:53 pm

Frank Guitron, what a joke your headline is, “DVC professor subject of 4chan harassment”. Are you prepared for a different headline if it turns out that your professor is guilty? You, your paper, DVC and all students should be embarrassed by this bias.

11. Samuel Shult on April 22nd, 2017 4:17 am

I get the sneaky suspicion had this been a student accused of sexual assault, your policy of editing out the person’s name would mysteriously evaporate.

12. Gordon Schumway on April 22nd, 2017 8:59 am

Don’t jump to conclusions, folks. I know the unverified sources showed he’s wearing the same clothes, same shoes, same glasses, same backpack, same pen in the same back pocket and has the same height and same face, but without actual evidence there is just no way to prove it’s the same guy.

13. Alexander DeLarge on April 23rd, 2017 4:03 am

I’m not one for vigilantism but what choice do they have when they’re dealing with armed and dangerous thugs that are literally trying to kill them at a free speech rally (literally the most benign political stance you can take in Western politics) and the police and media is doing absolutely nothing to protect them?

You talk about “credible sources” but the chief of police told officers to stay behind/in their cars while conservatives literally fought their way out of the event (completely unarmed because they went through a police checkpoint that didn’t allow shields/weapons/certain types of attire) while ANYONE NOT WEARING A MASK was clearly in danger, which is funny because a couple of them ended up attacking other ANTIFAs because their masks fell off. Several attempted murders involving ANTIFA trying to suffocate them with plastic bags, the bike lock incident, bricks/M80 explosives being thrown and them stomping on Trump supporters’ heads. This is all on tape.

The mayor of Berkeley has been confirmed to be a part of the ANTIFA Facebook group that organized this “protest” and the media clearly isn’t covering it so at this point, 4chan and Twitter are your “credible sources” regarding their attackers. The most credible you’ll find anyways because no one is doing their jobs.

14. joe blow on April 23rd, 2017 10:48 pm

I’m opposed to vigilantism. it’s extremely dangerous, and can escalate quickly, but the way this prof is being protected along with others in Antifa, is disgraceful and will only bring out more violence. Violence begets violence and unless the authorities do something quick to bring justice, I’m afraid we will see a lot more of it in coming months.

the college needs to put political leanings aside and do what’s right to protect the community

• DVC professor subject of 4chan harassment

Non-battle for Berkeley after previous clashes occurs near UC campus

Have no fear, the Unicorn Frappuccino is here!

DVC nurses and Science Alliance need YOU to help save lives

Parks contribute significantly to East Bay economy, study finds

DVC alum Kevin Redrico still missing

Travel ban’s impact on DVC’s International students

DVC to host newly appointed Chancellor Fred Wood

DVC’s best bites

Out of the Box

State senator brings words of encouragement