DVC student fronts Bay Area band, looks at musical past

Modern Day Kids, from left to right, is made up of drummer Keller O’Rourke, lead guitarist Nick Hays, frontman Kyle Paquin and bassist Matt Salavitch. The band recently acquired Paquin as their new lead singer. ()

DVC student Kyle Paquin has found himself as the newest front man of Bay Area alternative band Modern Day Kids.

Despite the pop-punk and alternative rock sound of MDK, Paquin’s personal main inspiration comes from God.

“He gave me the ability to sing, write songs and perform for people,” he said. “I am inspired to give a little back to him by developing these talents.”

Paquin started singing while in his church’s youth worship band.

It wasn’t until later, when he was presented with his first 1982 Les Paul Ultra guitar in eighth grade, that he started getting serious about music.

“I wanted to start a band after I realized I wasn’t very good at writing church music,” Paquin said. “Six years later and I’m in a slammin‘ band.”

Besides Paquin, San Ramon-centered Modern Day Kids consists of bass player Matt Salavitch, drummer Keller O’Rourke and guitar player Nick Hays.

After letting go of their previous lead singer, Salavitch, O’Rourke and Hays called Paquin after seeing him perform at a local show in Martinez.

The rest is history.

The love the band has for their music is shown through their dedication of practicing 10 or more hours per week.  They feel an obligation to play and create great music for their fan base that is growing.

While Modern Day kids are classified as pop-punk, many of their influences aren’t.

Vocalist Paquin lists bands like Led Zepplin, John Mayer Trio and Mayday Parade as some of the band’s influences.

Currently, the band is working on a music video – directed and ahot by O’Rourke’s father, Kevin – for their song “Her Poison,” written by Hays.

“While it sounds evil, the song has a positive connotation,” Paquin said. “Everyone has diverse styles which makes our music sound different.”

Hays said, “As all of us are getting older and maturing, our lyrics are too.”

The band’s favorite show happened to be  at the Discovery Counseling Center in San Ramon.

They said, “We had a lot of technical issues but overall had our own dressing room and people threw themselves towards the stage, it was super strange but really cool.”

Later tour dates are going be released on their Facebook page.

“I see the band evolving into something greater for reaching more fans within the next few years,” O’Rourke said.

As Paquin looks towards future MDK tour dates, he said it will “rock your face and will blow your soul into a better direction.”

Information about the band can be found at www.mdkrocks.com.

Editor-in-chief Julius Rea contributed to this article.