The face of change

“Actually I didn’t know that. I didn’t know that at all.” ~ Saad Kamran, Business (The Inquirer)

DVC students will only have three chances to pass their courses beginning summer 2012.

On Sunday, Sept. 11, the California Community College system’s Board of Governors voted to restrict students’ options for repeating general curriculum courses through revisions to California’s Title V education code

The state issues apportionment funding to cover some of the cost of community college classes. The amended code limits district apportionment to funding three attempts at completing a class, with one additional try possible with an appeal.   

Before the latest Title V amendments, students were able to repeat a class a maximum of seven times with state apportionment.

“This is not an efficient use of limited resources…and does not serve students well,” states Linda Michalowski, vice chancellor of student services and special programs and Barry Russell, vice chancellor of academic affairs in an analysis presented to the state board of governors.

After three repeats of a class, students are forced to take the class at a community college outside the district.  

The changes are retroactive, meaning they will include any previous course repeats.

“It all counts from the time a student was first enrolled within the district, the state will not pay the district for more than three attempts. It’s up to the colleges to decide if they are going to allow students more [repeats],” said Paige Maratt-Dorr, director of communications for the State Chancellor’s Office.

Additional changes restrict students from retaking a class if they received a C grade or better within a three year period.

Local reaction to the news of the changes was mostly negative.

“We’re throwing the baby out with the bath water,” said Tomi Van de Brook, vice president of the Contra Costa Community College District Board of Governors, during a meeting last week where they discussed the changes.

Elizabeth Hausecarriague, dean of outreach, enrollment and matriculation issued a report on the possible effects of the changes to DVC students. In the report she noted that 1300 students in the math department are already repeating classes, with 400 of those students having repeated 3 courses.

“It has huge implications,” said Ted Wieden, interim senior dean of curriculum, said at the department chair and deans meeting on Sept. 9. Other faculty members at the meeting recognized the gravity of the changes, with one saying, “students will not go district to district, but will just drop out of college.”

Judy Myers, English department chair, said, “We can’t keep passing the buck [to the students]”.

One DVC student put it even more directly. “It’s bullshit,” said Erika Bouey, 23, psychology major.

Geri Stefanova, 24, undecided, echoed similar concerns: “If you have to drop you should be able to take it again. It’s a community college after all.”

Many of students interviewed on campus didn’t like the thought of being stuck with a C or D.  “I think it’s unfair if you want a better grade,” said Stephanie Seltzer, 19, environmental science.

Nicole Bhachu, 20, a behavioral health major, pointed out “[certain] majors have to have an A if they hope to transfer.”

Although some local students were unhappy, Mark Valenzuela, representative for the Student Senate for California Community Colleges, told the state board of governors that his group supported the measure because it “maximizes the number of students being able to access class.”

Some students on campus also understood the need for the changes. “Where I come from in West Africa, you can’t [continually repeat classes],” said Abraham Tolno, 21, political science major. “They have to kick people out to let people in, I understand.”

The changes come as California community colleges are confronting $419 million in further cuts to education in the 2011-2012 state budget. The state board of governors viewed the changes to Title V as necessary in order to serve students best under the budget cuts.

According to the Legislative Analyst’s Office, hundreds of thousands of students will not be able to enroll in 2011-2012 because of the fiscal cuts.

Official notice of the proposed changes was published April 28. Public comment was invited through June 16, though only three comments were received.

A public comment from Leslie Smith, associate vice chancellor of government relations at City College of San Francisco, said, “the last thing they want to do is to no longer be able to serve those students who are still committed despite hardship.”

The changes will go into effect 180 days from their filing date with the secretary of state. Students can expect to be affected by the changes beginning in the 2012 summer semester.