New education opportunities

The application deadline for DVC’s Barcelona Program (HIST-161) is Friday, May 11th and will occur from September 8 – December 7, 2012. (Karin Jensen/The Inquirer)

At a recent Governing Board meeting, the Contra Costa Community College District updated their agenda on March 28, 2012 to include 3 new courses for DVC students.

These new courses are ARCHI-144 – Materials of Construction (3 units), ARCHI-215 – Architecture Portfolio Workshop (1.5 units) and HIST-161 – Spanish Life and Culture (3 units).

ARCHI-144 will be available every semester and ARCHI-215 will only be available once a year due to lack of funding.

Additionally, three new history of architecture classes are readily available: ARCHI-156, 157, 158 and ARCHI-165 (History of Paris’).

Architecture and Engineering Department Chair Daniel Abbott recommends that students take the recently added classes ARCHI-105 (Assembly and Fabrication) and ARCHI-110 (Design Build Workshop) where one can do hands-on projects in designing and building.

“We built furniture in ARCHI 105 and in ARCHI 110. This semester we are building small structures to take to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for the design village competition this week.” Abbott encourages.

For more information on the competition, one can refer to: http://designvillage.calpoly.edu/.

According to Professor Greg Tilles, History 161 (Spanish Life and Culture) will be available next fall to be taught under the History Department Chair Matthew Powell from DVC’s Barcelona Program.

“It will only be offered then and there and will not be part of the ongoing History program,” Tilles informs.

The application deadline for HIST-161 is Friday, May 11th and will occur from September 8 – December 7, 2012.  

For more information, students can refer to: http://www.dvc.edu/org/divisions/student-services/programs/study-abroad/barcelona.htm or simply visit the Study Abroad Office in FO 219. Their phone number is 925-685-1230 ext. 2735.

The Architecture Department is also currently working on new classes for digital modeling and fabrication.

For more information on DVC’s Architecture program, you can visit their official website at: http://www.dvcarchitecture.com.