Relocation of Veteran Club sparks controversy

The Veterans Club will finally have a place to go to on campus. Unfortunately, it will not be a place of their own.

The Veterans Club has been given permission by ASDVC to use the recreation room in the Student Union Building beginning this fall. Their use of the room is limited, however, as they will have to share it with other students.

The Veterans Club plans to use the room to give DVC’s veterans support. Of the 270 military veterans attending DVC as students, only 60 are active members of the veterans club. Despite this, the club is willing to help every student veteran.

The recreation room is currently a popular spot where students get together to hangout and play video games, which is a cause for concern according to Veteran Club President Niall Smith.

“If a veteran experiences a flashback from a violent video game, the users either (need to) stop the game or put (it) on mute,” said Smith.

Several other students have voiced their concerns on the matter. The consensus is that DVC’s veterans deserve their own room.

“I think it’s great for them to have a room for themselves, but I don’t think this is a good room for them,” 19-year-old DVC student Shelby Heisetv said. “There are other students coming in here all the time to hang out, play games, use the TV and whatever they have to do.”

“I think that both groups deserve a place to be,” Joey Jambona, 27-year-old DVC student, commented. “I think that it will be good to keep the recreation room the way it is until we can find a place for veterans.”

Other colleges have established programs for veterans. The centers in those colleges provide financial aid and scholarship programs for veterans to continue in their education.

ASDVC president Sam Park has expressed full support of veterans and the center which intends to offer student veterans a place to reintegrate back to civilian life through peer support groups and services.