Students given opportunity to travel to controversial island

DVC is home to a study abroad program that allows students to take a peek into a land that has remained a mystery for the past 50 years, and it’s all due to the work of one passionate woman.

The Cuba study abroad program gives students a chance to travel to the island and learn about the people and their customs while earning college credit.

The trips take place for two weeks during the winter break. In that time, students are taken around the island to attend meetings and conferences with government officials.

The program was created and organized by anthropology instructor Dr. Lenore Gallin, who has a personal interest in Cuba and cites Che Guevarra as one of her personal heroes.

“I’ve always been a supporter of Cuba and the Revolution. It’s always inspired me,” shared Gallin.

Gallin’s love for Cuba led her to accept an offer to travel there for the first time in 2002. She went as the faculty adviser for the Progressive Student Association so they could attend the 2nd Annual Conference for Peace and Solidarity with the Cuban people. The trip allowed Gallin to see the island and people she had admired.

“I was really moved and I hated to leave. I wanted people at DVC to see Cuba. I wanted my students to know about it. I wanted everyone to,” said Gallin.

With the idea in mind, Gallin set out to make it a reality. She spoke with government officials, both in the U.S. and Cuba, to organize a study abroad program that would be allowed to visit Cuba.

After a long and arduous process due to the restrictions that were, and still are, in place, Gallin was finally able to take her first group to Cuba during the winter of 2002-2003. She has continued to organize the trips around a similar structure every year to much success.

“Basically the most difficult thing was starting from scratch,” explained Gallin. “After it started going it was more revision and learning from your mistakes.”

Despite an extended cancellation of the program due to changes in Cuban relations policies, attendance has remained strong. According to Gallin, the groups average about 20-30 in size. She estimates that about 240 students, faculty members, and members of the community have attended over the course of eight trips.

“Hopefully those people come back and they talk about Cuba and they put pressure on their congressional representatives to open up travel and trade with Cuba,” commented Gallin.

While Gallin hopes that people come back with a positive view of Cuba, she is willing to admit that not everything they see on the island is good. She explained how these instances often become opportunities for learning and open discussion.

“There were things that we questioned,” explained Gallin. “We heard one thing and saw another.”

Those that have attended the trips in the past, like health sciences instructor Sherry Sank, recount seeing the social injustices in Cuba but are more willing to share their positive experiences. Sank attended during the winter of 2011-2012, when the trips first resumed after being cancelled.

“One of the highlights was, on our trip, we met with a community group in a little town and they had never met with a tour group before,” Sank in awe as she recalled the memory of her trip. “It was a great trip. A really great trip.”

Shauna Smith, Anthropology major at UC Berkeley also attended the trip in the winter of 2011-2012. Smith stated that she enjoyed the time she spent in Cuba and that she wished they could’ve stay there a little longer. She also shared her support for the program.

“I think programs like these are extremely important for education. Education is more than books and classrooms, it’s learning about the world and you have to experience the world to truly know it,” shared Smith. “I think there should be a lot more funding/support for study abroad programs, especially the community college level.”

Gallin is currently organizing the next trip to Cuba, which is set to run from December 28, 2013 to January 11, 2014. Applications for the trip will continue to be accepted until November 25, 2013. Students and faculty interested can contact Lenore Gallin at
[email protected].