A food pantry may be coming to DVC

ASDVC+members+talk+about+possible+fall+activities.%0A++

ASDVC members talk about possible fall activities.

Chelsey Schallig, News Editor

Associated Students of Diablo Valley College held a meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 11 from 2-4 p.m in the Student Union to discuss installing a food pantry on campus and possible fall activities.

Bowen (Chris) Liu announced that there will be a fall festival this semester and discussed new ideas with ASDVC members.

“We want new fall activities for students, maybe a concert or a fall luncheon. We need ideas that are possible to have on campus so students can interact with each other,” says Liu.

Another possible idea was to start a bus shuttle program to transport students from DVC to the San Ramon campus during weekdays.

“The idea is possible, but the funding is going to cost too much. I contacted Ruby Horta of planning for Concord and she outlined an approximate budget and it’s something, I think we can’t do” says Jacob Ngai, activities coordinator.

Andrew Soegiharto, Vice President of Legislative Affairs, discussed opening up a food pantry and water bottle fillings stations on campus.

“I want low-income students to have access to high protein foods,” says Soegiharto.

Soegiharto noted that creating a club to raise awareness and funds for the pantry would take too long. He contacted Circle K, a convenience store company, and the pre-nursing society at DVC.

“I contacted clubs that revolve around health to see if they want to participate and help us. Funds and storage space still need to be discussed,” says Soegiharto.

Students who are interested in the food pantry and want to help out should talk to Andrew Soegiharto at the next ASDVC meeting which is held every Tuesday.