Sociology is everywhere

Among DVC’s many clubs the Sociology Club stands alone as a forum for the social issues that affect our community and people on a global scale. The club’s goal, according to the its president Sebastian Rene, is to “enlighten all students about the field of sociology as a major and career, especially as humans that can create change for the better”. The club boasts a high level of participation with other clubs because of the wide range of issues discussed in meetings.
The club, which is the first of its kind on campus, seeks to approach sociological issues from a scientific standpoint.

Professor Fenno Ogutu, who teaches an Introduction to Sociology class on campus, is the club’s advisor.
When asked about the club Professor Ogutu remarked “The goal of the club is to promote awareness that we have a major here … DVC is one of the few [community] colleges that has a sociology major … many [DVC] students transfer to other schools to [get their bachelor’s] in sociology. They’re interested in getting jobs in sociological fields”.

March began the discussion on gay marriage and Proposition 8 while April began the discussion on education with topics ranging from affirmative action to the decline of ethnic studies in schools.

Meetings often begin with a set topic but soon branch out and incorporate a wide range of sociological issues. Each member is able to add to the discussion by contributing their own unique sociological viewpoint.

In the last meeting members shared their favorite talks and research projects that were displayed during the annual UC Berkeley Sociological Symposium that was held over spring break. Members also discussed the statistics of the Proposition 8 vote in preparation for the upcoming panel on the subject.

The Proposition 8 panel will feature topics which range from the historical context of same-sex marriage to the current debates across the country.

When asked why she joined the club Regina Octanez replied “Because these issues interest me. Especially the education reform and stuff like that. I want to make a difference. … everyone in here is actively trying to do good and is interested in sociology.”
The club meets every Wednesday in the Humanities building from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in room 111. Members are urged to bring in news articles on current social issues for discussion.Visit facebook.com/DVCsociologyclub to learn more about current meetings and sociology in the news.