Letter to the editor

The leading form of treatment for depression in this country today is a class of prescribed antidepressants known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, or SSRIs. SSRIs supposedly offer a quick-fix solution for depression but are only effective to those with severe cases. For those with mild depression that take medication, there is the consequence of causing arrested development; particularly among teenagers, whose minds will not entirely develop well into their twenties.

What a lot of people don’t think about is the way that SSRIs can prevent a person from using their negative emotions as internal cues to make changes in their lives. Of course there are times when medication is appropriate such as if someone legitimately has a disorder such as Bipolar Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, or Dysthymia to name a few. If a person is experiencing situational depression, it is less likely that medication would be beneficial for extended periods of time.

In a study conducted by Dr. Robert J DeRubeis of University of Pennsylvania, it was found that drugs were only beneficial to those with severe depression. Regarding his results, Dr. DeRubeis stated to the New York Times, ”The message for patients with mild to moderate depression is, ‘Look, medications are always an option, but there’s little evidence that they add to other efforts to shake the depression — whether it’s exercise, seeing the doctor, reading about the disorder or going for psychotherapy.”

Although SSRIs can be useful, I feel that they are very much overused and inhibit our natural coping mechanisms.  Feelings such as sadness and anger, although unpleasant, are healthy emotions that are meant to be learned from. Whenever possible, the best solution to overcoming depression is to examine our environment to find the source of our distress rather than popping a pill. Therefore, I feel there should be stricter regulations regarding who can get a prescription, particularly among teenagers and young adults.

Leah Abramson