Letter to the editor: YIK YAK

Shulin Chen, DVC student

Dear Editor,

I am a Diablo Valley College student. Besides that, I’m Chinese.

I was lucky enough to read about your article “Yik Yak displays student ignorance” in the school. Thanks for taking the right side on this issue. I really appreciate it.

However, I feel extremely uncomfortable and angry about the fact that such article could be posted on school newspaper. I don’t mean to be offensive or anything, I just want you to know that there are lots of Asian students out there feeling so disappointed and bad about such fact.

You might not be able to feel how hard is it for an international student to adapt to the life here while they have only studied English for a few years. But no matter how hard that is, we study hard to prove that we are as good as other English-speaking students.

We can accept the hardship that came with studying abroad, but if that also means we need to adapt to the racism in DVC, it would be unacceptable.

Picture this scene: if one day you happen to go to China for studying or for whatever reason, and you saw on the newspaper about people saying “I want to just hit all the American people in the crosswalk.” How would you think and react? My feeling tells me you are a good person. You start this article, so I hope you will also end this in an elegant way. Pardon me for any offense.

Regards,

Shulin Chen