New coach inspires DVC team

Women’s basketball coach Ramaundo Vaughn observes his team during practice. (Carly Jones/The Inquirer 2010)

The DVC’s women’s basketball team has a new head coach this year, and he’s not your ordinary go-big-or-go-home type of man.

He is Ramaundo Vaughn. At age 42, the former Hawaii Pacific coach has a long history with the game of basketball.

This retired NCAA athlete has traveled across the country, playing with numerous teams, including the Sunshine Coast Eagles, The Smith Saints and even for a Division II team in Australia.

So what is he doing here in Pleasant Hill?

Vaughn explained that he made the move for his son. “I grew up in the Bay Area, and I saw Concord as a safe and bright community where my son could begin his freshman year at.”

Vaughn’s players look to him not only as a coach, but a father-figure. Paris Gravely, a student in her third year at Hawaii Pacific, explained that Vaughn put in a lot of hard work and was strongly committed to his former team.

“He is a hard worker, and loves to make players better than what they used to be,” Gravely said. “I loved how he always looked out for my best interest and treated all of us as if we were his daughters.”

Olivia Humphrey, a member of the DVC women’s basketball team, also stressed Vaughn’s commitment to each player as an individual.

“Coach Vaughn has helped me so much already in such a short time,” she said. “I love that he pushes us and never allows us to be mediocre. He wants us to always give 100 percent and give our all.”

Vaughn made it very clear he’s not into “winning,” but the success that comes after it. He sees sports as a venue that provides athletes with opportunities, whether that opportunity is a full-ride scholarship to a 4-year university or a shot in the W.N.B.A.

“Sports keep our youth on the right track,” Vaughn said.

He also said that he is trying to prepare all the women for their futures on and off the court.

He encourages his athletes to get a college education, believing in the idea that they are students first, athletes second. All the women are expected to maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher, sit in the first two rows of the classroom and give back to the community.

“Homeless shelters, fundraisers, you name it, the DVC women’s basketball team will be there,” Vaughn said. “First by giving a helping hand to others, then help ourselves.”

When asked if the team will take the state championship this year, Vaughn expressed his desire for something greater.

“Winning is a word you will not hear me say often, it’s about building success from the ground up and working as a team.”

Contact Jasmine Burch at [email protected]