Fall Sports Preview

It’s the time of hope and promise. Every new player wants a chance and every returner wants to build on last season’s progress. It’s the time of year when everyone has a chance and every team has thoughts of titles bouncing around in their heads.

For a lot of DVC teams, this fantasy could become reality. The football, men’s water polo, and women’s cross country teams have a very good chance to make deep runs in the postseason. The soccer, women’s water polo, and men’s cross country teams will be looking to build on last year’s steps in hopes of making it back to glory.

The DVC football team had a great 2010 campaign. An 8-2 record earned them a spot in the Graffiti Bowl. DVC’s stellar defense will have to make up for the loss of quarterback Joey Bradley, and others on offense. With the offense returning only four starters while the defense returns nine, the team will look to the defense for leadership.

Coach Mike Darr, in his fifth year as head coach at DVC, is very optimistic about his chances this season. “This is the most talented, deepest defense we’ve ever had. It’s going well; this is a real good group to work with,” he said.

In three years as head coach, John Roemer has taken the men’s water polo team to new heights, including three conference championships. In his fourth he looks to continue this trend, and add a state championship to it.

Two All-Americans, Alex Gauric and Brenden McMahon, will be leading the way for the Vikings this year. Roemer seems excited but isn’t predicting championships just yet.

“Our success this season will be based on how quickly we can start playing as a team,” he said.

In his 15th season as head coach of the women’s water polo team, coach Rick Millington is looking to build on last year’s 13-9 season. Captains Rachel Fenton and Erin Reynolds bring veteran leadership to a very deep squad.

With 23 players on the roster, Millington has decisions to make in order to get down to the 15-player travel limit. “We’re looking to use last season’s success as motivation for continued improvement this fall,” said assistant coach Zach Roberts.

Last year the Women’s Soccer team had a record of 6-12-3. Not what they were hoping for, but a new season brings new opportunities. Head coach Cailin Mullins said, “Our biggest problem last year was a lack of maturity. This year we need consistency, we need to believe in ourselves.”

The team has 11 returners and is led by center midfielders Rachel Armstrong and Megan Hill, who scored five goals apiece last season. The biggest speed bump for this team will be a very tough schedule. Mullins thinks they will be able to handle it. “We have a deep squad. We have the ability to utilize a lot of players as needed,” she said.

The women’s cross country team placed third in the conference last year and looks to continue to build towards a conference championship. Led by returner Gaby Raya, who finished 24th in the conference meet a year ago, the Vikings are looking toward the future with at least six freshmen on the team.

The men’s team is looking for a better year after finishing last in the Big 8 Conference a year ago. They will be led by, among others, returner James Guinn who finished 14th in the men’s four mile run at the Big 8 conference championships.

Coach Shelly Pierson is optimistic and said, “At this point, things look very promising for the men.”

DVC athletics are on the upswing and the teams are looking favorable. This should be a very good fall season with many teams playing deep into the postseason.