Vikings fall 2011 season in review

DVC Lacrosse team gets pumped up for their game against Saint Mary’s. DVC won the game 5-3. ()

Another exciting season of fall sports has come and gone and once again DVC athletics has shown that it is all around one of the best programs in the state. Five sports going on to playoff berths.

The winning tradition kept on going for the water polo program, with both the men’s and women’s teams sweeping their respective divisions.

The men’s team cashed in on their fourth NorCal championship in a row and their 3rd place finish in the state championships is the best they’ve ever placed. After losing to West Valley twice this season, DVC had the last laugh with a their 13-10 win in the 3rd place match at the State Championships. Ori Raz led all scorers in the game with 5 goals and earned All-State honors, and the Vikings keeper Aleksander Garvic had 9 saves.

“I think it’s good to show how successful you can be as a team when you do it the right way,” said head coach John Roemer.

The women’s team did just as well, winning another NorCal championship and finishing in 3rd place in the state championships. The Vikings faced off against Merced, which handed DVC one of their five losses in a 4-10 match in the early goings of the season. But in the post season, it was the Vikings who got the win when it mattered, edging out a 9-8 thrilling overtime win.

The biggest turn around this year would be the DVC soccer team, which improved from their 6-12 record last year to a 15-4 record this year, earning a playoff appearance. The Vikings won their first round playoff match against Sierra 1-0, with Wendy Magarin registering the only goal of the game and goalkeeper Desiree Mortenson holding the shut out.

The Vikings would fall in the second round in a close fought 2-3 match, losing to Modesto Junior College. Coach Cailin Mullins still views the season as a big step forward.

“The biggest difference for us from last year to this year is the amount of returning players and the leadership that we had from those returning players this year.  We had 11 returners who worked hard in the spring and summer to become better soccer players and better leaders for this season,” said Coach Mullins. “This made a significant difference in our ability to be competitive with the top teams this year.”

The Vikings football team finished strong this year with an 8-2 record, lead by a defense that was ranked number one in the conference. Their consistent play earned them an appearance in the Bothman Bulldog Bowl against their rival the San Mateo Bulldogs. Once again a bowl win eluded the Vikings with a 62-24 loss.

The Vikings are going to lose a lot of players to 4-year programs next year, especially with the entire defensive line receiving scholarships to D-1 programs. The team’s recruiting is going to be a big factor in their success next season.

The Vikings’ volleyball team had a tough season this year, after losing most of their team last year to recruiting or ineligibility. Although their record this season was abysmal, 2-12, the young Vikings brought their effort to each game. The experience will come in handy next year with seven players returning.

“I have been out scouting high school matches and tournaments looking for potential student-athletes that are wanting to come to DVC to continue their education as well as athletic career,” said Coach Babb. “We have a good core of players to work with over the off-season and hopefully with the new additions that I hope to secure we’ll have a much better season next year.”

The DVC cross country team earned success in the Big 8 conference championships this year. The women’s team finished 5th overall led by Freshman Carmen Martinez in a season best time of 19:45. This earned her an All-Conference First team. The men’s team finished 2nd overall and were led by Freshman Greg Garcia who was 7th overall and made the All-Conference First team as well.

Although the team saw success in the conference championships, the NorCal and state championships were a different story, with the team finishing 27th. The team, although young, looks to add onto their improvements this year and turn it into success next year.

Overall it was another exciting season for fall DVC athletics. The spring teams have big shoes to fill for the Vikings faithful hungry for winners. Until then Vikings fans, stay tuned!