DVC football wins three

The DVC football team put another giant win in the stat column on Saturday, Oct. 6 against Monterey to give them a three-game, 40-plus point winning streak after starting the season 0-3.

Despite the slow start, offense was never the problem, with the Vikings averaging 32 points per game in their first three starts and 38 on the season.

“We had those tough (losses) early so it’s nice to get it done,” said football head coach Mike Darr. “It seems like each week we’re eliminating mistakes. They’re becoming more comfortable in offensive and defensive schemes allowing them to play confident and play fast.”

Saturday‘s game allowed the Viking defense to shine as they forced five fumbles, three of which were recovered by DVC and held Monterey to under 50 total yards in the game.

DVC had 12 team sacks with three interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown which would have made the score 53-3, before being called back on holding.

Even more testament to the defensive proficiency of the Vikings was when the offense fumbled the ball which was recovered by Monterey and brought to DVC’s two yard line. The defense repelled Monterey back to the seven yard line and held them to a field goal, Monterey’s only score of the game.

Sophomore wide receiver, Diante Jackson, had four touchdowns against Monterey and continues to lead the state in receptions after Saturday’s match.

The Vikings’ next game is Friday, Oct. 12, against Reedley College.

Coach Darr said of this week’s match, “(Reedley) is a scary team. Their record isn’t great but they’ve got maybe 8-10 kids from California, the rest from all over the country. They’re big on the offensive line and athletic everywhere else.”

The Vikings’ second win of the season came against Merced on Sept. 29, leaving the contest with a 41-17 victory. The Vikings are currently 3-3 on the season.