Briana Walker shines bright at NorCal’s 2013 track and field finals

Rising track and field star Briana Walker returns from Saturday’s NorCal finals disappointed, but determined to come back next year even stronger.

Walker stated in an interview following the May 11 finals in Sacramento, “I think we were all disappointed. We had a good thing going and wanted to take it to State. But I know I tried my best and my teammates did too. I’m happy we got as far as we did.”

Considering the competition, Walker can be proud of her 6th place finish in the Women’s 100 meter hurdles. Finishing in 15.80 seconds, just short of the rank and time necessary to qualify to compete at the state championship, Walker will be a strong contender in next year’s competition.

The Women’s 4 x 100 meter relay team, in which Walker runs the third leg, also finished a respectable 7th place with a time of 49.98 seconds.

Hurdles coach Sally Stafford explained, “Hurdling requires intensive technique work and it takes time to master it. It also takes speed and flexibility which are some of Briana’s most innate abilities.”

Walker, a 19 year-old Mississippi native, joined the DVC Track and Field team this Spring as a freshman and already shows great potential, according to head coach Shelly Pierson. “Briana is a natural track athlete. Her strongest event is the 100 meter high-hurdles, but she’s strong in everything else too. She’s an imperative third leg on our 4 x 100 and 4 x 400 meter relay teams.”

Down-to-earth and soft-spoken, Walker talked about the difficult adjustment she had relocating to California at age 15. “I went to Alhambra High School in Martinez when we moved out to California. It took me a while to get used to things and make new friends. I was really closed off and shy when I was younger so it was kinda hard for me to reach out to other people, but it got better as it went along.”

Pierson describes Walker as sweet girl who wouldn’t hurt a fly. “The coaches here at DVC are teaching her to be more aggressive. I tell her when you get out on the track you need to growl, you need to have that fire in your heart burning. Before every race I’m like growl…growl!”

Walker agrees she is learning to be more aggressive. “If I really want something I go after it now. I absolutely love the 100 hurdles…I want to win every time. I always look down the line of hurdles and say to myself, ‘just get to the end as fast as you can.’ I’m putting all this work in, why wouldn’t I want to win – I want to be the best.”

Pierson believes Walker has the talent and ability to be a NorCal champion next year. “Briana is going to do very well as a sophomore here at DVC. I know she will excel and has the potential to move on to the next level and hurdle at the four year university level.”

When looking to the future, Walker is considering a degree in kinesiology. “My dream school is San Diego State, it’s such a beautiful campus and they have a wonderful kinesiology program. I’d like to get my master’s in occupational therapy. I would love to rehabilitate and work with kids with permanent disabilities. If I could, I would still like to run in college – I hope to continue to compete.”

For now, Walker continues to live in Martinez with her mom Selena, 16 year-old brother Jonathan, and 11year-old sister Alyssa. Walker said, “We have an athletic family, my brother and sister both play soccer and I go to their games and they come to my meets when they’re not too far away. We love cheering each other on, it’s so much fun.”

The family also enjoys mom’s special home cooking together. “My favorite dinner is my mom’s fried chicken, collard greens, mashed-potatoes, and macaroni and cheese. Oh my goodness, their delicious – it reminds me of home.” Looking at Walker’s willowy frame, you would never suspect such indulgence.

Another sinful pleasure Walker confessed, “I’m a gamer girl, I love to play video games – ‘Call of Duty,’ ‘Skyrim,’ ‘Assassin’s Creed,’ ‘Halo’ – I just love it.”

Bubbling with even greater enthusiasm, Walker’s eyes lit up as she talked about her real passion – art. “I want to have a giant art studio just to do whatever I want – have a giant kiln, paint, sculpt, and I want to take glass blowing classes as well.” Clear and definitive Walker proclaims, “Art is really my passion. If I could do one thing for the rest of my life it would be art.”

Walker’s future looks bright whatever road she decides to travel. Any obstacles life presents she is sure to overcome…one hurdle at a time…until she wins the race.