Music at DVC still playing strong

The sounds emanating from the music building almost never stop. It’s difficult to walk through the building without hearing students practicing their music.

The symphonic band is no exception.

To join the symphonic band one must first go through on audition process where the band coordinator evaluates each person’s abilities.

The Symphonic band, lead by conductor and band coordinator Monte Bairos, puts on two formal performances a semester, with their first one taking place Friday March 4th at 8 p.m.

“They work very hard, and they all want to put on a great performance,” said Bairos.

The band has 45 members, most of whom are returning players. There are musicians from all different ages and skill levels in the band from intermediate to more experienced instrumentalists.

The band’s shows are important to the music program’s success because most of the profit goes towards funding the music program.

DVC Wind Bands in Concert will start off with an hour of the wind ensemble, and then followed by an hour of symphonic band.

The wind bands will be performing a four-piece set list that was chosen by Bairos. The list includes the works of John Phillip Sousa, David Manslanka and Percy Aldridge Granger.

“The group is strong this year and the music selection suits us well,” saxophone player Casey Strum says, “The upcoming concert should be a good one.”

The symphonic band is performing a set list that is made up of four pieces each between five and fifteen minutes long. This is a testament to the hard work that the bands put toward their performances.

The symphonic bands practice on Thursdays from 7:30 to 10 p.m. while the winds practice Mondays and Wednesdays from 8 to 9:30 a.m. Despite all the work and commitment these musicians put toward the class, the class still only counts for one unit  But in the end it is worth it because all these musicians love to play music.

“I really enjoy symphonic band because of the great experience I get to have by playing with so many talented musicians,” says music student Angelica Lovio. “It’s great to have the opportunity to play so many classic band masterpieces”

Wind band set list:

1. “American Hymn Tune Sketches”

2. “Cathedral Music”

3. “Martyr’s Mirror”

4. “Call to Victory”

Symphonic Band set list:

1. “March: Pathfinder of Panama”

2. “Give Us This Day”

3. “Spoon River”

4. “Folk Song”