Game’s new album fails to reach greatness

Game, shown here in 2006, released his fourth album called “The R.E.D. Album” on August 23, 2011. (Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

Known as Game or The Game, Jayceon Terrell Taylor is a humble man with, unfortunately, a generic sound.

On his new album, “The R.E.D. Album,” he wastes no time setting up his case for being one of the greatest rappers alive.

The album, which took three years to make, runs through a full spectrum of lyrical and musical content found in rap music, such as drugs, girls, life, and crime.

Musically, the beats are very well-produced, featuring lots of bass that would probably sound great blasted out of the speaker of a lousy car.

If the album’s description sounds generic thus far, it’s only because the album is generic. “The R.E.D. Album” lacks a certain spark that propels it into greatness.

Game himself is a talented rapper with nice flow who comes up with clever lyrics; however, this album lacks a truly memorable, distinct personality.

At the same time, he is very concerned with other rappers, frequently dropping names as he raps, and this is probably reflected in his choice of great guest stars, such as Lil Wayne, Kendrick Lamar, and Big Boi.

Besides its generic beats and content, the album’s biggest flaw lies in editing.

First, since “The R.E.D. Album” is over 70 minutes long, Game could have trimmed it.

Several songs could have had a verse or two cut out and, in some cases, removing entire songs would improve the album, such as “Martians VS Goblins,” in which Game gets overshadowed by guest stars Tyler, The Creator and Lil Wayne, who actually have a personality.

Second, there is a string of three slower song in the middle of the album. These songs feature choruses sung by members of the genero-R & B wave that is cursing the radio-waves today.

There’s nothing wrong with having a few slow songs on any album; however, having three of them in a row kills the mood, especially since Game spends the first half of the album inflating his ‘tough guy’ persona.

Ultimately, “The R.E.D. Album” is nowhere near garbage. Most of the rap songs are good and, as mentioned before, Game is rather talented and smart. It’s just a shame he didn’t produce something amazing.