New film disgraces typical working mother

I hate to say this, but I’m sick of seeing the over-exaggerated working mother on the big screen.

Sarah Jessica Parker stars in the Douglas McGrath film “I Don’t Know How She Does It” as Kate Reddy, a mother who juggles life and work.

At home, she deals with her husband (Greg Kinnear) and two kids. Also, she puts up with stay-at-home “Momsters” who spend six hours at the gym and bake everything perfectly.

At her Boston-based financial management firm job, Reddy’s latest project leaves her working closely with successful British banker Jack Abelhammer (Pierce Brosnan) while dealing with her office rival Chris Bunce (Seth Meyers).

She finds herself attempting to manage bake sales and throw her children birthday parties while traveling to attend business meetings.

The audience follows Reddy through her attempt to find balance and calmness between her two lives, until she realizes something has to change.

Watching Reddy struggle with comical situations provides a smile easy enough. Sometimes, though, it seems overdone.

While the movie emphasizes the difficulties working mothers face, it seems to imply that Reddy is the only working mother out there.

It’s as if she is doing something no one has ever done before, and rivals like “the Momsters” and Bunce are just waiting for her to fail.

The movie remains mostly predictable which takes away the humor in most of the situations. From constant food-stained clothes to inadequate hygiene due to lack of time, many of the scenes seem sloppy.

It’s as if there was a hole in the film and the director decided to slap in a scene and hoped it would be funny.

It’s easy to sympathize with Parker’s character. The struggle and conflicting emotions she has to go through are only a few of the dilemmas working mothers have to face.

However, the film doesn’t offer anything new or original. Nearly every situation has been portrayed before. Most of the laughs came from Reddy’s sarcastic assistant, Momo (Olivia Munn), who makes it very obvious that she doesn’t see the charm in the life Reddy leads.

Ultimately, the message is clear: women can have success in both their careers and at home with their husband and kids. The primary problem with this movie, though, is that the message is blunt from the very beginning, and doesn’t go anywhere after that.