“Abduction” fails to excite [but Taylor Lautner takes his shirt off]

Taylor Lautner’s new movie “Abduction” will make some wonder if his legacy will end with the “Twilight” franchise.

Lautner plays Nathan, a party-going teen who sees a therapist, Dr. Bennett (Sigourney Weaver), for his anger issues. He is supposed to be playing the part of your average angry teenager, but the trouble starts when he sees a picture of himself on a missing children website.

This oddity begins to amplify as he starts having reoccurring nightmares of a woman dying in front of his eyes. His long-time crush and neighbor, Karen (Lily Collins), becomes involved, and assumes the role of his partner throughout the adventure. The rest of the movie is Nathan and Karen running away from CIA agent Burton (Alfred Molina) and assassin Nicola Koslow (Michael Nyqvist).

This film has unimpressive action scenes, unrealistic situations, and stilted dialogue. The only good thing about this movie is that there are a few laughs. However, these parts only came when Lautner was attempting a serious scene and failing miserably.

Moments when Lautner seems to be going through an identity crisis, or is deep in thought, rather than giving a contemplative face, he offers nothing more than a sad pout.

He plays the part of an angry teenager well, but fails any other type of convincing acting. His facial expressions remain the same and he goes through the movie without expressing any type of emotion other than anger. “Twilight” fans, though, will be happy to know his shirt comes off at least twice.

As a whole, this movie was mediocre. The romance between actors Lautner and Collins looked incredibly rehearsed. There did not seem to be a lot of chemistry between the two and the whole sub-plot seemed to be thrown in just for the sake of sexy. It’s a PG-13 movie, but those who watch the Lautner-Collins makeout scene will cringe at the way they literally throw themselves at each other.

Though actors like Molina and Koslow deliver believable performances, even they are not enough to carry the weight of the entire movie.

Lautner’s performance in this film strays away from his expected role as werewolf Jacob. Unlike Robert Pattinson’s breakaway film “Water for Elephants” or Kristen Stewart’s film “Cherry Bomb,” Lautner doesn’t show a lot of promise outside of his “Twilight” role.