‘The Skriker’ pushes boundaries of the mind

Alex Brendel
Robin Waisanen plays the magical, mystical Skriker. The play opened Jan. 27 and will run through Feb 12. (Alex Brendel / The Inquirer)

With a shape-shifting spirit with evil intentions haunting mental asylums in Britain, and young girls being terrorized by it, The Skriker is definitely a play to be reckoned with.

The starting monologue by the Skriker herself is long and involved.

The words she speaks make no sense at all, so memorizing the lines must have been quite a chore.

The lighting and costumes of the play were amazing, with fairies galore dressed in all different ways.

There were fairies with large hands, ones with long fingers, gothic fairies, and all with elaborate costumes, some scary, some pretty.

It is almost worth seeing the play just to see the costumes.

The tech team had its work cut out for it with the demands of the play, and they delivered 100 percent.

The lighting was amazing, during the Skriker’s opening monologue, the lighting had her casting all kinds of shadows across the stage.The Skriker is a comical character in some senses.

However, it is sarcasm as opposed to jokes. The Skriker is too sadistic to be humorous.

Josie is a character on the brink of self-destruction.

She first meets the Skriker in a mental hospital.

Finally, she wishes it upon her friend Lily because she can’t take the Skriker’s intimidation anymore.

But as soon as she leaves, Josie wishes her to return.

Lily is afraid of he Skriker, and doesn’t fully understand her.  

It often catches her off-guard with its ability to shape-shift, whereas Josie can tell when it has taken a different form.

For instance, the Skriker takes the form of a child, and Lily plays with it, but doesn’t believe Josie that it’s really the Skriker until the Skriker admits it’s her.

As far as content of the play, it made for a compelling mystery.

The entire time I kept wondering: what is the Skriker’s intention? What does it want? Does it simply want to torment Josie and Lily, the two girls? Or is it something else?

It is an interesting, but a very odd, play.

You are almost required to have a taste for the unnatural to enjoy it.

The beginning monologue can be a bit of a put-off with its length and inability to make sense, but don’t let that keep you from seeing the play.

The DVC drama department outdid themselves, yet again.

The leading three actresses nailed their characters.

They were deep into the personalities of the Skriker, Josie, and Lily, and it was easy to immerse myself in the play.

Amazing costumes, believable actors, and an unforgettable plot makes  the play unforgettable.