Vote for Obama on Nov. 4

()
()

One has only to turn on the TV to see that we, as a nation, face a number of crises.

From the wars in the Middle East to the near financial collapse here at home, we live in scary times with repercussions we are just beginning to fully understand.

Now, more then ever, we must choose a leader we can trust to lead the country through these challenges. This is why the Inquirer endorses Sen. Barack Obama for president of the United States.

Sen. Obama is committed to making higher education attainable to all.

He proposes an American Opportunity Tax Credit that would provide $4,000 in tax credit towards college tuition. He also proposes to “recruit, prepare, retain and reward America’s teachers,” with initiatives that range from new “Teacher Service Scholarships” to salary increases for veteran teachers who mentor their newer colleagues or work in underserved rural areas and inner cities.

Sen. Obama also strongly supports the protection of women’s reproductive rights. During the Democratic presidential debate in South Carolina, he said, “I think that most Americans recognize that this is a profoundly difficult issue for the women and families who make these decisions.”

More than five years after President George W. Bush proclaimed “Mission Accomplished,” the war continues in Iraq.

According to a recent Gallup poll, 59 percent of Americans believe the war was a mistake and 60 percent want a timetable for withdrawal. Obama agrees. According to his website, Sen. Obama intends to immediately change the mission in Iraq and end the war. He proposes a phased withdrawal, working with both U.S. military experts and the Iraqi government, resulting in all troops returning home within 16 months. This plan is also supported by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

On the domestic front, Sen. Obama proposes a “Making Work Pay” tax credit of up $500 per person and $1,000 per working family. In addition, he promises not to increase taxes for anyone making under $250,000 a year.

These policies may prove to be a much needed boost, following the $700 billion Wall Street bailout, which The Associated Press estimates will cost every American $2,295.

With all that we face as a nation in the coming years, both at home and abroad, we must elect a leader with wisdom, fortitude and restraint, one who reflects our values and knows that “country first” includes the middle class. Sen. Barack Obama is that person.