You are to blame, not the games

Gerardo Recinos/The Inquirer ()

Yes, NPR-listening mom, it is your fault.

Just because the latest Yahoo! news article said that violent video games cause kids to be more violent, doesn’t mean it’s true.

In a press release distributed by state Sen. Leland Yee, Gov. Jerry Brown said, “California’s children are exposed every day to video games that glamorize killing sprees, torture and sexual assault.”

Look, we know kids are completely desensitized to violence; to actually blame it on the companies who design the games is insane.

It’s your job to police your kids, if that is your prerogative.  

When your kid is walking around and throwing rocks at his younger brother and screaming “tango down,” it’s not the game’s fault.

In 2009, parents protested a Nintendo Wii game called “MadWorld,” saying the game’s violence was too much for children.

But a study done at Texas A&M International University last year found that violent video games do not cause violent behaviors in children who have no preexisting conditions.

“Violent video games are like peanut butter,” Dr. Christopher J. Ferguson, who performed the study, told Reuters last June.

“They are harmless for the vast majority of kids but are harmful to a small minority with pre-existing personality or mental health problems,” he said.

Parents who want companies to change their content forget one thing: games with violence and swearing are rated “M” for “Mature.”

If a 13-year-old kid is trying to buy a game with a mature rating, he or she can’t without parental consent.

If your kid pays a strange adult to pose as a parent and give consent, then I think you have bigger issues than violent video games.

Take responsibility for your bad parenting and stop doing whatever talk radio tells you to do.

It gives me a headache every time some article or report says violent video games may have been the cause of a school shooting.

But some parents continue to pass off their ineptitude on someone else. It’s never their fault.