El Morocco gets your belly dancing

Since 1978, El Morocco has served up a unique blend of exotic Middle Eastern cuisine with culturally appropriate interior design of pillow seats and gold plate tables with an over hanging tented ceiling that encapsulates the entertainment of the evening: belly dancing.

An art form that was originally intended specifically for women that were pregnant, belly dancing was traditionally performed to relieve women through an array of pelvic movements in order to ease the pain of pregnancy and labor.

While I may not have been affected by the contractions of pregnancy at the time, the movements did help me work through the contractions of digestion of the various delicious dishes of lamb, chicken and assorted shish kabobs. The menu is definitely difficult to resist; chicken dipped in honey and almonds for $14.95, dough pie Bastillas coated in cinnamon and sugar for $8.00, and cooked hare for $16.95 with a sinewy yet tangy aftertaste are just some of the few tantalizing choices.

Before meals, washing bowls are provided that allow patrons to immerse themselves in a realistic Moroccan dining experience and to avoid sticky fingers.

If it happens to be your birthday, you’ll be adorned with fez hats and serenaded with a chorus of “Happy Birthday” by family and diners alike and treated to a traditional Moroccan pastry. And be warned birthday bunch: the belly dancers will likely teach you their craft for the enjoyment of the entire restaurant!

All of these elements make El Morocco a memorable and authentic dining experience, great for any occasion or just for an evening getaway in an oasis of culinary delight.

For more information on the history of El Morocco restaurant and its owner, Fadil Shahin, or for information on menus or to schedule an evening of fine Moroccan dining, search www.elmorocco.net.